Mercedes C Class Mercedes C230 Kompressor, Mercedes C240, Mercedes C280, Mercedes C320, Mercedes C350 Sedans, Coupes, and Wagons.

B Service

Search this Thread

Old 12-04-2005, 01:45 AM
Default B Service

my 99 c280 is due for B-service. would someone tell me what is included? my benz dealer wants $650. should i do it? i have 88k.

Old 12-04-2005, 12:40 PM
Default RE: B Service

LOF checking fluid levels, and suspension, and a bunch of other checks, the dealer where I bought my car includes changing the brake fluid and anti freeze. But another dealer in the area, charges extra for the changing the brake fluid. $475 at one and $450 at another, I went to NAPA shop and they are authorized to perform MB service, $300 including brake fluid anti freeze LOF and rotating the tires. I had to have all four brake disc and new pad, and the right side upper and lower tie rod replaced, but the C280's tie rods and worm and roller are one unit, so the whole assembly has top be changed, MB priced it out at close to $2K and Napa did the same job using OEM tie rod front assembly, the disc and pads I I bought from FAST Lane. All together the parts were a little over $500 and the labor $$350, and that included a 4 wheel alignment. NAPA charged me $60 a hour labort instead of the $50 as I brought my own parts, but MB charge $95 per hour and Go's know what the markup is on the parts.

I need some special bulbs, (festoons) for the taillamps on the 79 450SLC project car. Most internet sellers like Performance products sell them for $.89. I paid $1.90 at MB, and that is with a 15% discount because I belong to the MBCA.

Old 12-04-2005, 01:59 PM

i dont want to pay MB dealer $650 for "checking" stuff and topping off fluid level.

paying them that $650 is like you bend over and pick up soap in the prison shower. not only that the $650 is pure profit for them, they have also planned to make extra $$$ in the thousands by finding faults which i already knew; like the tie rods.

i think, i am gonna need that tie rod set like you did, Allen. When I turn the steering wheel on a slope, or when I go over a bump, there is a funny feeling coming from the front suspension. is it the sign of tie-rod going down?

allen, what were the symptons on your car b4 u replaced the tie rods?

Old 12-04-2005, 02:51 PM

Total Estimated Costs
Total Estimated Parts Cost For Your Area $ 110.05
Total Estimated Labor Cost For Your Area $ 196.51
Total Estimated Cost (excluding tax)* $ 306.56
B Service cost as estimated by Edmunds (shows details)

However, my mech. told me the 90K service is a big one. For example, not on the Edmunds list is sparkplug replacement. Also, i'm going to have the transmission fluid replaced and perhaps the differential fluid. Transmission oil replacement s/b around $200. The oil itself is very expensive, but if only changed every 90K, who cares. I'm not sure what is will cost to change plugs. I think ea. cyc has two plugs.