Mercedes C Class Mercedes C230 Kompressor, Mercedes C240, Mercedes C280, Mercedes C320, Mercedes C350 Sedans, Coupes, and Wagons.

Anyone have aftermarket navigation?

Search this Thread

Old 05-04-2008, 06:38 PM
Default Anyone have aftermarket navigation?

I have a 05 C-230 without the factory navigation. I'm wanting navigation, but haven't heard the best things about the factory nav units. BUT, if I go with an aftermarket navigation unit, I want it to look as factory as possible. I've seen only one picture of one installed and it didn't look very good in my opinion. I'd like a really good looking dash kit to make it look close to factory. Any one have any input or pics? Thanks in advance!

Old 05-05-2008, 09:36 AM
Default RE: Anyone have aftermarket navigation?

Welp, here's my input: http://www.tigerdirect.com and grab a refurbished Tom Tom One for $120, with free shipping. They run on Linux, have scads of online help/add-ons/updates, can be carried in a jacket pocket on foot, work like a charm and can be neatly tucked into the ashtray, stuck on the corner of the windshield, or other options. No fuss to "install", no magnet for thieves, and puts about a thousand in your pocket. Or, your dealer's pocket for something else.

Old 05-06-2008, 05:46 AM

I want a double din unit and I want it to look as factory as possible. Thanks though.

Old 05-06-2008, 11:02 PM

I agree, and wanted the same thing. But I also want something I can keep current -lots of sprawl going on around here (and some street names that I swear had to have been created specifially to mess with our high Asian population)- reasonably and easily. For the radio (cassette deck?!??!) I'm going with Blaupunkt's Brisbane (no CDs, SD cards instead) which should fairly-anonymously fit the dash, has adjustable screen colors to match the orange, and doesn't have a garish face.
I'd planned on finding a used Mercedes Nav unit, until I did some reading on here and other sites about its navigational mediocrity, my built-in D2B millstone, and (even as used) its price. Watch out for European versions being sold second-hand, as their AM (MW) radio bands are spaced differently from North America's.
I'm not trying to sway you -after all, it's all toys, isn't it?- but I encourage you to study a bit. After the first month, it comes down to what you're looking at more than how it looks. And it's just a nuisance to try and drag a Nav unit down the sidewalk with you once you've parked in the city.

Old 05-07-2008, 08:06 AM

Oh, here is this answer better?

http://www.benzworld.org/forums/sale...ccesories.html

Old 05-08-2008, 10:14 AM

Thanks for the reply. I understand what you are saying. However, I have a double din nav in my other vehicles and that is also what I want in this car as well. A TomTom or portable GPS is out of the question. It is just not what I want. I'm sure they work great and if they came out with one that looked factory, was double din, played movies, supported a rear camera, among other things, I would be interested, haha. Thanks again!