Mercedes C Class Mercedes C230 Kompressor, Mercedes C240, Mercedes C280, Mercedes C320, Mercedes C350 Sedans, Coupes, and Wagons.

AC Air Stinks

Search this Thread

Old 08-13-2005, 12:47 AM
Default AC Air Stinks

I got C 240 recently and now when I switch on AC the cool air that comes out stinks for a while and after 2 minutes it come out OK. Why does it stink what shall I do. Any ideas. I have my C 240 covered under warranty Bumber to Bumber for another 5 months. Is it covered under warranty ?

regards

Old 08-13-2005, 10:06 AM
Default RE: AC Air Stinks

There's mold in the A/C ducting. It needs to be killed. I doubt if it's covered under warranty.

I don't know the best procedure to kill it, but your question should now become, "How do I kill mold in the A/C ducts?"

A mixture of water and bleach will kill it. But, how do you get it into all of the ducts? I dunno.

A shop that services A/C systems could probably either do it for you or tell you how to DIY.

Old 08-13-2005, 11:00 AM

There are several products you can buy at your local auto parts store that will kill the bacteria. Fabreze AUTO deoderizer works well. Turn on your AC full fan then spray the product into the outside intake vents, usually located under the wipers. Spray a goodly amount. Then go inside the car, turn the recirculate on and spray in the area of the cabin filter. On my C280 the filter is located on the passenger side, the cover under the dash has vent holes, spray toward them, this will recirculate the interior air. If Fabreze is not available there are a bunch of products available, just make sure the label says kill order causing bacteria. Also, Auto Sport sells a product specifically for bacteria. www.autosportcatalog.com If you us Fabreze make sure you like off the outside vents with a damp cloth when your finished.

Old 08-13-2005, 11:26 PM

Still want to know can something be done myself or I need to get some bucks out my pocket ?

regards

Old 08-14-2005, 12:13 AM
Super Moderator

that dust filter is fine? it can be also the source of mold if wet.

the smell coming fron the vent on the center of the dash (fresh air on top) or from other air ducts?

Old 08-14-2005, 12:16 AM
Super Moderator

[IMG]local://upfiles/1/60C79783BE8148F9A40D84DE31AAE1A4.jpg[/IMG]

Old 08-14-2005, 10:09 AM

You don't want to spend money and you own a mercedes? that's a oxymoron. Buy the deoderizer and spring for a couple of buck. These products are safe. Don't start spraying bleach and water into the system then you will really need to spend some BIG BUCKS

Old 08-14-2005, 01:50 PM

wiztard is at it again. Deodorizer won't kill all the mold. It'll smell a little better for awhile, then the mold will take over again.

Old 08-14-2005, 02:01 PM

Here's an evaluation of a vendor (just one, sorry) that deals with mold in the A/C ducts causing an odor. Search the Web for more info. There's tons.

The cure(s)
While many products include a deodorizer as part of their package, for obvious reasons we did not invite pure deodorizer vendors to this party. Legitimate cures for evap-stink are: 1. Apply a microbial and moisture-resistant coating to the coil to reduce the problem in the first place, 2. Clean the evaporator (and pan, housing, air inlet, etc.) and 3. Using an electronic timer to cycle the blower at certain intervals after the vehicle has been shut down. The latter action dehydrates the evaporator in less-than-humid areas, which stifles microbial formation.

Many manufacturers now install evaporators that have been coated with both antimicrobial and hydrophilic (i.e. water shedding—thanks again AirSept) materials. However, those coatings are not permanent. Once depleted, the evaporator can then become a microbial breeding ground.

Coating
AirSept Inc.’s Air Cooling Coil Coating is an aftermarket product designed to replace a coil’s lost coating, or apply one to coils without such coating. It combines an antimicrobial and an acrylic coating to the coil that is said to last three seasons in normal A/C use. There is a Pre-Wash product that should be used in case the system, plenum chamber or air ducts are cluttered with leaves and other debris.

Cleaning
Of course, anyone can perform a truly thorough job by R&Ring the evaporator, and maybe the heater, and manually cleaning them with a solvent. But how many customers are willing to pay for that service, especially if the system is otherwise working fine? An alternative is to spray the evaporator face and/or housing with an aerosol cleaner and let the liquid carry the contaminants down the pan’s drain.

AirSept’s Coating shows its stuff. Water was sprayed on both aluminum samples. After one minute, beads still collect on the left, uncoated sample. No drops gathered on the coated piece.

To accomplish the above, all vendors agree that the coil must be thoroughly coated with their product to assure a good cleaning. Without disassembling the housing, there two methods to get product to the coil: 1. Removing a major component like the blower, its module or the motor’s speed control resistor, or 2. Drilling a small (7/16”) hole in the case. None of the responding vendors expressed it, but in Japanese vehicles a certain foam product can actually be applied directly into the blower housing. As it expands it fills over into the coil housing and soaks the coil. These cleanings are said to provide protection from six months to one year from application.

The labor time to complete this project runs between twenty minutes and an hour plus, depending on accessibility to the coil. With AirSept’s Coating, there is a curing time of twenty minutes after application. The vehicle’s heater must be on high, but there is no other technician involvement. The customer’s cost mentioned by the vendors ranged from $60-100 to perform the service.

After the service, if an electronic afterblow module is not installed, be sure to advise the car owner that operating the A/C system in Normal Mode (fresh air) as much as possible will help to reduce molds, and odors, from reforming.

Offer the service!
Besides the stink, the threat of sickness and disease carried by airborne contaminants is a major concern worldwide. I found no claims that auto air systems were the cause of any specific illness. However, certain molds are known to produce mycotoxins, which can produce short-term and long-term adverse health effects in humans. These include headaches, dermatitis, recurring colds and flu-like symptoms, asthma, sinus infection, burning sore throat and more. Experts admit that mycotoxin exposures are difficult to diagnose because other diseases can cause the symptoms.

Below: Dust and other debris that builds on evaporator face provides food for micro bacteria to grow. Foaming the entire face allows the contaminants to flow out the A/C drain. Photo: Mobile Air 2000.

Also, and this is important, even dead fungi can produce these toxins. Allergies are common when air currents carry away the spores (similar to plant seeds). It’s the spores that do the damage when inhaled. So, don’t be afraid to offer an evaporator cleaning service to your customers. Besides getting rid of the odor problem, you may also be helping to keep the vehicles occupants healthier at the same time. Remember, where there is odor there is definitely mold. Where there is mold there is danger to people, especially young children suffering from asthma. Treat this condition with the seriousness that it deserves. Offer this service proudly.

Old 08-14-2005, 04:40 PM

Fabreze happens to kill bacteria & mold in the AUTO products versions. Plus the spray Auto Sports product is especially made to kill mold bacteria etc.

Quick Reply: AC Air Stinks