Mercedes C Class Mercedes C230 Kompressor, Mercedes C240, Mercedes C280, Mercedes C320, Mercedes C350 Sedans, Coupes, and Wagons.

99 C280 Plugs

Search this Thread

Old 01-30-2006, 01:09 AM
Default 99 C280 Plugs

Just wanted to share my experience....

2pm this afternoon, I put in new plugs on the passenger side. Cheapest Bosch at AutoZone....2-prong kind. $3.99 a piece.

Needed to remove the air-cleaner box as well as the coolant reservoir. Also removed the conduit that houses the MAF sensor...for better clearance. Did not have to remove the coil packs, but I did it anyway just to clean them.

Pulling the plug wires required a lot of strength. The first four...counting from the front...came off easily as the air-cleaner box is gone now; a lot of space to pull. It became tricky when I got to the remaining inner two. Pulling the plug wire is extremely difficult because there is no room for my hand to pull as the back of my hand is touching the wall already. Anyway, I got the wires off.

Removing and installing the plugs is easier than the wires. Amazingly, I did not face any trouble. I thought this part might be a headache.

Pushing in the plug wires for the inner three plugs was really difficult. There was no "snug" feel. I was worried there. (Please let me know if there is a special tool for pushing or pulling the plug wires.)

My hands are all covered with cuts and bruises, so I closed up my shop today at 6pm.

I plan to do the driver side plugs next week. I will be running into a tight spot...literally. I will have to remove the windshield-washer reservoir. After that...there is this shinning aluminum wrapped hose of some sort...blocking the free access to the plugs. I understand this is some sort of HVAC line. It does not appear it can be removed or moved easily. What do I do with it? Ideas? Please!

Old 01-30-2006, 01:29 AM
Default RE: 99 C280 Plugs

When you get ready to put the wires back on, smear dielectric grease on the inside of the wire caps all the way up to the contact. Not too much, but get complete coverage. Also, put some on each spark plug after the plugs are installed. It's too slimy if done before. The wires should go on a lot easier and they'll be easier to remove next time.

Sounds like you passed on getting platinum plugs, which means you'll be changing plugs a lot sooner than 100K miles. Still, I'd put anti-seize on the plug threads just because you have aluminum heads.

Old 01-30-2006, 02:21 AM

The 2-prong Bosch plugs I put are platinums. I dont' know they still sell plain ol' copper ones. I did put anti-seize.

Once I have enough info on how to do the other side, I will use the dielectric grease. That way, next time I change plugs I can experience the difference.

Still need info on working around that aluminum hose thingie.

Old 01-30-2006, 10:52 AM

$3.99 for platinum plugs? That's an awfully good price. Yeah, copper plugs are still sold. They're better sparkers. Platinums last longer.

Don't know about that hose. I'd have to put my face up to it and look. I wouldn't open the A/C system, though.

Old 01-30-2006, 12:43 PM

ORIGINAL: fly_major_fly

Just wanted to share my experience....

2pm this afternoon, I put in new plugs on the passenger side. Cheapest Bosch at AutoZone....2-prong kind. $3.99 a piece.

Needed to remove the air-cleaner box as well as the coolant reservoir. Also removed the conduit that houses the MAF sensor...for better clearance. Did not have to remove the coil packs, but I did it anyway just to clean them.

Pulling the plug wires required a lot of strength. The first four...counting from the front...came off easily as the air-cleaner box is gone now; a lot of space to pull. It became tricky when I got to the remaining inner two. Pulling the plug wire is extremely difficult because there is no room for my hand to pull as the back of my hand is touching the wall already. Anyway, I got the wires off.

Removing and installing the plugs is easier than the wires. Amazingly, I did not face any trouble. I thought this part might be a headache.

Pushing in the plug wires for the inner three plugs was really difficult. There was no "snug" feel. I was worried there. (Please let me know if there is a special tool for pushing or pulling the plug wires.)

My hands are all covered with cuts and bruises, so I closed up my shop today at 6pm.

I plan to do the driver side plugs next week. I will be running into a tight spot...literally. I will have to remove the windshield-washer reservoir. After that...there is this shinning aluminum wrapped hose of some sort...blocking the free access to the plugs. I understand this is some sort of HVAC line. It does not appear it can be removed or moved easily. What do I do with it? Ideas? Please!
You should hear a snap when you put the plugs wire back on. I had the same problem withn my 450SLC. I could't get them to seat properaly. Finally after taking the off and on I gave the metal plugs on the end of the wires a strong push and hear the snap and they finally seated correctly. If you look inside those metal plugs you will see a piece of copper that touches the plug when inserted properly. I think that the 3 I had a problem with might have been bent out, as the were loose. I took a piece of hard plastic I have and I bent them out. I still had to jiggle the wires a bit but finally as I said I heard the snap and they were tight. I haven't change the plugs on my 99 C280 but your post was a great help, I figured most of the intake had to come off to get at them and on the other side the washer container, I didn't think about that. Did U have to remove the coils or just unplug the wire from the plugs? Some say yes some no.

I replaced the plugs on the 450SLC with Bosch Plat but single prong. The mechanic I use wasn't too happy about this as he says these plugs run a bit hotter then regular plugs. But on the other hand he said I did use the single prong and the engine was carboned up from little use. Between the new plugs and EXP4 fuel system cleaner and a couple of tanks of 92 Octane fuel the car runs and sounds brand new. Oh also a K&N filter. Also the gas mileage has improved from 14mpg on the highway to almost 18mpg

Old 01-30-2006, 02:21 PM

I forgot to mention a few details:
[ul][*] You pull hard upwards and the air-cleaner box would just pop up, no screws holding it. Jiggle a lot.[*] Headlight wires are touching the air-cleaner box. So upon pulling the box up, make sure no harm done to the wires[*] Coil packs need NOT coming off. I took them off for cleaning and more room for hand[*] 3/8 drive extension has to be shorter than 3", otherwise can't remove the innermost one[*] Don't try to make sense of markings "G" and "K" on coil pack and wires, this does not follow a pattern[*] The top connector "a" on coil pack always go to the plug right to the coil pack for the passenger side
[/ul]

I still need help on that shinning aluminum hose, essentially how to go around it or remove it to get to the plugs...for the driver side.

Old 02-02-2006, 01:58 AM

I must report to you all that...
[ul][*] Today I worked on the driver-side plugs[*] I have successfully and proudly finished the installation of the new plugs[*] I worked around that shinnig aluminum hose[*] That shinning aluminum hose seems to come from the a/c compressor[*] The job could not be done without a pivot/angle wrench
[/ul]

Now I have a question. The place is too tight for a torque wrench to go through. I just used common sense tight-enough feeling. However, I understand there is a torque spec for the plugs. So....would a Benz dealer really use some form of torque tool? Or, they do whatever they want to do because the owner is not allowed to observe?

Personally I think I have done a better job than a dealership, on top of saving boat load of money. I did not make any scratches. No yanking off wires! No stripping or rounding off screws! I DID GET A LOT OF CUTS AND BRUISES ON MY HAND THOUGH.

In the future, bring your 280 to me for tune up. LOL!

Old 02-02-2006, 12:00 PM

Depending on the type of washer or lack thereof, hand tighten and then turn a specified amount with a wrench. It's usually something like 1/16th, 1/8th, or 1/4th rotation or something like that. It probably says somewhere on the spark plug packaging what the spec is.

Old 02-02-2006, 12:35 PM
Super Moderator

When i do take my car to have it worked on if i cant do it myself if i cant watch then they cant do it. Thats y my cars dont get the MB dealership treatment guy i take them too cares and works on the cars like they are his and his other workers are the same way. Plus the specialize in the older benzes. They also do classic Ferrari's, Lambos, and all for the low price of 65 bux an hr. Luckly i only had to take it there once but it took them 22hrs to fix it and it was there for 5 months.

Old 01-31-2007, 10:46 AM
Default c240 Plugs

I have a C240 on a 2001 (51) plate. I recently took the acar in for a service (26k). The car passed the service but the Merc dealer recommended replacing the plugs (at an expensive cost!) these are the original plugs so would like to know that am i really looking to replace plugs with 26,000 miles in them or a Merc looking for a fast buck?