Mercedes C Class Mercedes C230 Kompressor, Mercedes C240, Mercedes C280, Mercedes C320, Mercedes C350 Sedans, Coupes, and Wagons.

98 C230 Rich Fuel Mixture & Shake

Search this Thread

Old 08-19-2011, 01:30 PM
Question 98 C230 Rich Fuel Mixture & Shake

Hey guys, I just bought a 1998 c230 with 178k on it, and the car was in bad shape when I got it. It just had a MAF replaced, the rear o2 sensor, spark plugs, and an oil change done, and still, the problem persists. The Check engine light keeps comming on and it reads a different code each time I get something fixed. First, it said misfire in cylendar 4, after having Concours look at it, they replaced two spark plugs and all the wires, and it seems to have made little or no effect.. so that was 400 bucks.. no result, but, they said that the New MAF works fine, they tested it.. however, once I drove the car for ten minutes off the lot, the light went right back on, so I don't know if they just didn't test the vehicle or.. what. They also told me they replaced a cracked breather hose. So, That was good. They said that I have a loose motor mount, but didn't tell me which one, or mention if they tightened it or not, so, I'm guessing that still needs attention as well. The Transmission is Auto, and will not shift into the lower manual gears (1,2,3, and 4) It will only shift as low as drive, then neutral, a phantom gear that does nothing, reverse, and park. I'm thinking that the trans is off because the motor mount? -Not sure, Concours didn't really mention the problem, or that they knew about it, so.. Any suggestions? The car runs and drives, it's just JOLT-ee, it jerks forward after hesitating between each gear, and then when I put the pedal to the ground, the car slowly... very slowly accelerated after a while. Is this thing dead or what? I can't afford a new trans if that's the problem. Thanks for reading any ideas are appreciated..