Mercedes C Class Mercedes C230 Kompressor, Mercedes C240, Mercedes C280, Mercedes C320, Mercedes C350 Sedans, Coupes, and Wagons.

94 c280

Search this Thread

Old 08-16-2012, 02:07 PM
Exclamation 94 c280

1.) So I am having problems with my instrument cluster... all warning lights function correctly BUT the issue is the gas gauge, RPM and MPH are not working and from time to time function... need some new view points please to try and fix this...

2.) Also my battery is draining out seems though after a jump and letting the car run battery life returns so I do not think its the alternator and grounds seem fine as well...any other ideas because if the battery is holding the charge from running but dies overnight I figured it would be a ground or alternator...maybe the battery is just old...I don't know...

Any help, ideas or thoughts are very appreciated. Thank You.

Old 09-17-2012, 12:59 PM

Bumping..hoping someone seems this that has any ideas...

Old 10-05-2012, 09:08 AM

The gauges are prone to sticking. There are two ways to try to fix this if it is a sticking problem and not some other kind of malfunction. You can use a pipe cleaner with some rubbing alcohol. get the tip of the pipe cleaner wet and then stick through the hole where the tripmeter/clock reset ***** come through the gauge cluster. Get the pipe cleaner around the little pin that the needles sit on. The pins tend to get sticky as they age.
The other way is to remove the instrument cluster (which isn't hard). The easiest way is to remove the left front speaker grill (there is a small clip you can see through the vent). Pop that up and then put your hand in the hole and push the cluster out. You can also use paint can openers and get them around the sides of the cluster, twist and pull straight out. The cluster is a just a force fit and nothing is holding it in.
There are two wiring connectors on the back, disconnect those (they are flip kind of connectors) and the cluster will come out. There are clips holding the front plastic cover in place. Remove those and then you can clean all of the pins much easier.
My suspicion is that the pins are sticky since the gauges work intermittently.