Mercedes C Class Mercedes C230 Kompressor, Mercedes C240, Mercedes C280, Mercedes C320, Mercedes C350 Sedans, Coupes, and Wagons.

2006 C280 driveshaft vibration starting at 45 mph and up...

Search this Thread

Old 03-24-2006, 12:46 PM
Default 2006 C280 driveshaft vibration starting at 45 mph and up...

Hello all,

Has anyone experienced a vibration in a new C280 sedan starting about 42-45mph?

Apparently MB knows about this because they recommend changing a shim under the rear end housing on the end that connects to the drive line. I am told by the dealer the car comes with a 4mm shim, but MB recommends changing it to a 2mm shim. In my case changing this shim to the smaller one only made the vibration worse.

I can sit on the passenger side with someone else driving and I can tell them when the car reaches 45mph, its that obvious! Below 45 mph the car is wonderfully smooth around 50mph you don't feel it as much, but it's there; it's just the frequency of the vibration or resonance is higher.

Needless to say I am disappointed with this in a brand new car, let alone a Benz. The dealer has ordered a new driveshaft for me in an effort to fix the problem, that has yet to arrive and be installed, so I don't know the outcome.

Does anyone know if there was a TSB or a recall for this? If so what is the number of the TSB?

The dealer says they have had it on other models too not just the C280. But if MB knows of it why do they keep building them so they vibrate? Oddly enough I drove another C280 with the same tires on it and lo and behold that one had the SAME vibration! This is clearly not acceptable.

Thanks to all who reply any help will be most appreciated.

J Tinsby

Old 08-08-2006, 02:19 AM
Default RE: 2006 C280 driveshaft vibration starting at 45 mph and up...

Hello

I see your post is from March with no reply. Well I am here to tell you that you're not alone!!

I have been working with a very patient dealer in my area since February to try to get rid of similar vibration/roar in my coupe, which I purchased used. But mine sounds like a bad u-joint to me, minus the whirring sound.

My dealer pointed me to tires, so I replaced the OEM MXV4+ tires (worn and needing replacement anyway) with Michelin Exalto A/S. Afterwards the noise was still there. The dealer then heard some noise in the differential and replaced it under warranty. Unfortunately the noise now became very consistant at 45 mph and up as you describe.

I had the dealer road-force-balance the tires last week and rotated the tires back to front to see if the roar would move with tires. The roar now started at around 38 mph which really threw me. Today, I rechecked the tire pressure and found the dealer had rotated the tires, but did not adjust the tire pressure as recommended on the gas tank lid. So I had rear tire pressure in the front tires and front tire pressure in the back tires.

I adjusted the tire pressure back to the recommended front / rear value and guess what? The roar now starts at 45 mph again. But it was not as bad a roar today. The temperature dropped (81 and low humidity today vs 95 and humid last week) from last week when the roar was horrible and even contributed to a chassis vibration for 5 to 10 minutes. I guess temperature might also be contributing to this issue.

So I have to ask, have you played around with tire pressure at all? Also, are you running the MXV4's on your car or ?

And for anyone else on the list reading this short novel - is there some secret to eliminating the roar through a suspension/drive train that I suspect I am suffering with?

Thanks all!!

Bob

Old 11-03-2006, 12:17 PM

Not only your car.

My 2002 C230 Kompressor has the same driveline/axle vibration only mine is at 40mph. Dealer says they don't feel it but I can feel it in my seat, shifter, steering wheel and feet. It's a total chassis vibration.

Old 11-03-2006, 12:45 PM

I have the same car and same problem. A tire rotation did nothing. My car has 8,000 miles. The car is so smooth otherwise. I have not taken the car in. Any help would be appreciated.

Old 11-04-2006, 08:34 AM

Hi everyone:

I'm having the same vibration on my 1999 C230K I just purchased with 33K on it. So far, the wheels were road force balanced, driver's side upper control arm replaced, both lower ball joints replaced, and I still feel the vibration. Each time the work was done, the vibration changed, but did not go away.

I'm reading in other forums about driveshaft bearings, u-joints, and aftermarket driveshafts. Has anyone had anyh luck with these??? Thanks! -Mike

Old 12-20-2006, 03:28 PM

Well replaced the tires and wheels to rule out those parts. Still have the vibration. Guess the drive shaft is next.

Old 12-21-2006, 02:08 PM

Took my car in ('06 C280 4matic). The tech could not hear or feel the vibration (feels like a rumble - low frequency sound).To me it is very obvious! Dealer said no service bullitins and they have never had this complaint. They said an out of balance drive shaft would be obvious. I was also told that the 4matics have more drivetrain noise, but this is toward the rear of the car!

Old 12-21-2006, 03:00 PM

Mine is worse in the morning, in the first 4-7 miles. I suspect the elastic flex joint might be part of the problem. Heck, my clothes dryer drumrollers get flat spots overnightand it rumbles for the first 5-10 min, Mecedes and Maytag might buy the same rubber for their driveshafts ;-)

Old 12-29-2006, 10:24 PM

Trip to the shop today. Tech is ordering a driveshaft assembly. Will advise.

Old 01-04-2007, 03:50 PM

Depends on the actual vibration. My 2000 C230K had to get new motor mounts and I originally thought it was something with the driveshaft.

Quick Reply: 2006 C280 driveshaft vibration starting at 45 mph and up...