Mercedes C Class Mercedes C230 Kompressor, Mercedes C240, Mercedes C280, Mercedes C320, Mercedes C350 Sedans, Coupes, and Wagons.

2003 C240 clicking behind dashboard

Search this Thread

Old 09-01-2011, 07:58 PM
Default 2003 C240 clicking behind dashboard

Hi everyone, I bought this car new and it has 70K on it. Very nice car, but with a new problem. When I start it up, a clicking noise, steady at one second intervals coming from behind the dashboard which lasts a few minutes and then ceases. Happens when not driving as well as when going down the road. No malfunctions display. I appreciate any help. JonB

Old 09-02-2011, 03:31 PM

Its coming from behind your radio. Your heater box stepper motor levers are broken. Whats happening is when you start your car, the actuators which open and close different flaps for your HVAC system (heater/AC system) move from open to close. Then noise you are hearing is the actuators 'clicking' inside the broken levers. You need to replace the levers (which is a b!tc#) The glovebox, center console, radio, heater controls, center vents and radio bracket all need to come out, then you need to squeeze your hands behind the dash bracket to remove the actuators and replace the levers. I would like to tell you that its a cheap repair but its not. It takes around 4 hours to do and I think the dealers charge 6 hours. The parts only cost around $15 but its all labour.

Old 09-02-2011, 10:16 PM

Originally Posted by JonB
Hi everyone, I bought this car new and it has 70K on it. Very nice car, but with a new problem. When I start it up, a clicking noise, steady at one second intervals coming from behind the dashboard which lasts a few minutes and then ceases. Happens when not driving as well as when going down the road. No malfunctions display. I appreciate any help. JonB

if you're in the philadelphia area I can help you out. for half the price

Old 09-04-2011, 06:09 PM

Hi JohnnyRaggs, thanks a bunch for your help on this. As you indicated, this is a tough job. I think I'll plan on a very long day. Again, thanks very much.
Regards, JonB.
P.S. Thx to Chassis221 as well, for the offer.

Old 09-27-2011, 04:51 PM
Default where can i buy lingage

Originally Posted by JohnnyRaggs
Its coming from behind your radio. Your heater box stepper motor levers are broken. Whats happening is when you start your car, the actuators which open and close different flaps for your HVAC system (heater/AC system) move from open to close. Then noise you are hearing is the actuators 'clicking' inside the broken levers. You need to replace the levers (which is a b!tc#) The glovebox, center console, radio, heater controls, center vents and radio bracket all need to come out, then you need to squeeze your hands behind the dash bracket to remove the actuators and replace the levers. I would like to tell you that its a cheap repair but its not. It takes around 4 hours to do and I think the dealers charge 6 hours. The parts only cost around $15 but its all labour.
hi i have just joined i have a c200 kompressor living in ireland i have same problem clicking behind dash and no blow to your feet where can i buy a linkage and is it just the one I will be doing the work myself

Old 03-05-2012, 02:40 PM
Default Same problem - c230

I have the same issue on my newly purchased c230. The clicking noise is at uniform intervals and lasts for about 30 seconds when starting up the car and then stops (thankfully). The heater does not blow on the feet either. Is this really such an expensive repair or is there something easier we can do? Thanks!

Old 03-05-2012, 02:49 PM

Originally Posted by wesleyb
I have the same issue on my newly purchased c230. The clicking noise is at uniform intervals and lasts for about 30 seconds when starting up the car and then stops (thankfully). The heater does not blow on the feet either. Is this really such an expensive repair or is there something easier we can do? Thanks!
dealer charge about 3-5 hours

Old 03-09-2012, 06:20 PM

Originally Posted by chassis221
dealer charge about 3-5 hours
I stopped by a mechanic today who quoted me 10-11 hours @ $75/hr. This place has really good reviews and he told me he always says the maximum so that he doesn't end up charging people more than his estimate but still - really surprised me after your estimated work time.

Old 03-10-2012, 10:59 AM
Default 2003 C240 clicking behind dashboard

It has been six months since the noise first started. It always ceased after a few minutes. Now it is gone completely which probably means the system is completely broken. Does not seem to be a problem here in Southern California's moderate clime, so I do not intend to repair it. Also, 10 hrs at $75 sounds like a 6 figure occupation, where do I sign up?
JonB