Mercedes C Class Mercedes C230 Kompressor, Mercedes C240, Mercedes C280, Mercedes C320, Mercedes C350 Sedans, Coupes, and Wagons.

2003 C240 4Matic -- All sorts of issues...

Search this Thread

Old 02-26-2009, 07:32 PM
Default 2003 C240 4Matic -- All sorts of issues...

Hey all. I bought my '03 C240 about 3 months ago with 70,000 miles on it exactly, and have had all sorts of things happen. Within the first 24 hours of owning it, the "Reduce Oil Level" light came on my computer screen, so I brought it back to the dealership and they drained some out. Never saw it again. Then the windshield wiper arm fell out of sync and had to get put back. Then the right side low beam went out, and so did the right side marker light -- but now that's working again for some reason (I didn't touch it). Then as it started getting below 30 degrees here, my car started not working correctly on first ignition after being home all night. It would start and I would put it in reverse to back out of my driveway, then as I started moving it would lose all power -- it would still be running, but I would have no acceleration whatsoever and the brakes had to be heavily pressed to get any control over it. The only way to fix it is to stop and restart it and give it a minute. This has happened about 10 times now -- a couple times it didn't power down until after I was out of my driveway and onto the road, and I was lucky to guide it over to the side and not get rear-ended. The car completely died one day, lost all electric power to the car and the battery was dead, so we spent $120 to put a brand new battery in it. After that, it still did it a couple more times. Anyone know what the heck is causing this? I've owned a 2006 Kia Spectra 5 and 2000 Honda Civic EX, and neither of these cars ever did this during the cold Wisconsin winters. I've also had a problem with my sunroof motor -- on a warmer day, I tilted it up and then it wouldn't go back down. It would go down to go into a slide to fully open, but not go down to close, it was stuck. Then all of a sudden yesterday, it decided to work again. Now my computer is telling me to reduce the oil level again and also check the coolant level. Neither has been messed with or touched and the car has only been driven 2300 miles. I'm so frustrated with it, I love it but it's driving me nuts. Ideas? Thoughts?

Old 04-22-2009, 04:17 AM

Anyone happen to have any thoughts on all this? As it's gotten warmer, the car no longer cuts out upon starting and my sunroof is working fine. The reduce oil level warning also magically disappeared. BUT I worry about facing it all again in the next upcoming Wisconsin winter.