Mercedes C Class Mercedes C230 Kompressor, Mercedes C240, Mercedes C280, Mercedes C320, Mercedes C350 Sedans, Coupes, and Wagons.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

C230 Fault Code: Thin Brake Lines

Search this Thread

Old 09-17-2006, 06:10 PM
Default C230 Fault Code: Thin Brake Lines

Hey Guys, new to Mercedes here but im looking at a 2002 Mercedes C230 Coupe, I have not yet purchased the car but the info screen displays "Thin Brake Lines" Im not stupid I do know what thin brake lines are but what exactly is this fault code warning, is it a sign of a bad ABS computer or what? Cause I find it weird that the computer could sense this, the car does need a brake job done. Thanks Guys.

Zach

Old 09-18-2006, 04:23 PM
Default RE: C230 Fault Code: Thin Brake Lines

Ok the code is thin brake lining, so it just needs pads, but I called the dealer on this and we are friends to the point where he will fill me in on info but still wants me to spend money so I need to make my own choices as to repairs. He informed me that it will cost 2000 to replace both front and rear brake pads and to do the service interval B which is filters and fluids and computer reset. I told him I would do the brake change myself and he said that if they don't do it the sensor would be damaged. I know dealers are a rip off but in all reality is the simple maintence on this vehicle easy? Like fluid and filter changes, brake changes?

Old 09-18-2006, 08:50 PM

the services are very easy to do on these vehicles as well as the brakes, i hope that estimate also included rotors. the sensors do not get ruind if u do the brakes, however the sensors will have to be replaced. the way the sensor works on your vehicle is it has 2 wires that connect in a small solid plastic tube looking sensor, when the pads wear to the sensor the plastic gets worn away the wires get exposed and the rotor cuts the wire breaking the circuit causing the display to come on in the instrument cluster. so at least one of the sensors have been worn to cause the light to come on. they pulg into a electrical connector right on the caliper, u cant miss it. as far as the service, check your dust filter which is in a plastic housing right on top of the battery, replace the wipers if they need it. the oil filter is right on top of the motor so its not hard to get to, all u replace is the paper filter, the plastic housing stays. and to reset the service interval turn ignition on dont start the car, with the multifuction buttons on the steering wheel scroll to the service screen once u get there hold the reset button on the instrument cluster untill the display changes and asks if u want to reset the service, when that happens let go of the reset button then press and hold again unitl its changes to the next service. ( A or B ). check the water in the battery, the belts, coolant, brake, and power steering fluid. if u are under the car look for any major leaks or damage. spray some wd-40 or similar lube on the hood and door latches. put 5.8 quarts of oil in and thats pretty much a service, without cheching the codes but if u have no malfunctions in your instrument cluster display and the engine is running fine i wouldnt worry about it. also in the engine i think u have the front right cover when u are faceing the engine pulls up and thats where the oil filter is. dont forget to check the air in the spare tire, nothings more annoying when u need it and its flat. if u have any questions or i left something out, let me know.

Old 09-18-2006, 10:49 PM

recently I had similar issue, I asked some local car brake dealer and he said it wud be near 1000 $ to get replaced front brakes and rotors and sensors. He said everything is in a bad condition... I went to Merc Dealership (usually known as stealership) and they said rotors are ok, just need new pads .. it came out to be around 275 including labour. They said generally rotors go for two brake pads life, but greatly depend on the way u drive.
So check with MB dealers they sometimes do the checks for free.