Mercedes C Class Mercedes C230 Kompressor, Mercedes C240, Mercedes C280, Mercedes C320, Mercedes C350 Sedans, Coupes, and Wagons.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

2002 C240 handles horrible on ice and snow

Search this Thread

Old 02-18-2014, 10:28 AM
Default 2002 C240 handles horrible on ice and snow

Hey guys,

Haven't posted in a while, but now have a new issue with my 2002 C240 6 speed manual. Been driving this in Minnesota winters for the past 4 years, and only this year did the problem pop up. It fishtails on the ice and snow worse than I have ever seen. If I am gong down the road at 55-70 miles an hour, hit a patch of ice, it fishtails to the right every time. It doesn't matter if I am going uphill, downhill, on the gas or just coasting.

I recently had new struts and new control arms up front. I replaced the coil springs 3 weeks ago, they were broken, but the fishtailing is the same even after replacing them. I also had a 4 wheel alignment done.

Dry pavement it handles awesome, no pulling or anything to make you think it has an issue. I have been reading that the tires could ultimately be the problem, but I would think it would still track straight going downhill coasting.

ESP seems to work fine. Light comes on if I am spinning, and removes power from the rear wheels. I am not sure how much it is supposed to do, because if I am spinning on snow in a parking lot, it will completely stop the spinning and makes it tough to actually move. I turn the ESP off and they spin just like a regular rear wheel drive car.

Any thoughts would be appreciated.

Old 02-18-2014, 06:02 PM

Originally Posted by Snorkohls
Hey guys,

Haven't posted in a while, but now have a new issue with my 2002 C240 6 speed manual. Been driving this in Minnesota winters for the past 4 years, and only this year did the problem pop up. It fishtails on the ice and snow worse than I have ever seen. If I am gong down the road at 55-70 miles an hour, hit a patch of ice, it fishtails to the right every time. It doesn't matter if I am going uphill, downhill, on the gas or just coasting.

I recently had new struts and new control arms up front. I replaced the coil springs 3 weeks ago, they were broken, but the fishtailing is the same even after replacing them. I also had a 4 wheel alignment done.

Dry pavement it handles awesome, no pulling or anything to make you think it has an issue. I have been reading that the tires could ultimately be the problem, but I would think it would still track straight going downhill coasting.

ESP seems to work fine. Light comes on if I am spinning, and removes power from the rear wheels. I am not sure how much it is supposed to do, because if I am spinning on snow in a parking lot, it will completely stop the spinning and makes it tough to actually move. I turn the ESP off and they spin just like a regular rear wheel drive car.

Any thoughts would be appreciated.
Do you have mismatch tires? could also just be poor quality tires.

Old 02-18-2014, 08:48 PM

They are Michelin Primacy MXV4 tires put on last summer. My next plan is to rotate them and see if I have some weird wear patterns or something.