Mercedes C Class Mercedes C230 Kompressor, Mercedes C240, Mercedes C280, Mercedes C320, Mercedes C350 Sedans, Coupes, and Wagons.

1999 C280 - Radio w/No Sound After Service

Search this Thread

Old 12-29-2005, 12:31 PM
Default 1999 C280 - Radio w/No Sound After Service

This is an annoying problem. Whenever I have this car serviced (a service that requires a disconnect of the battery) when I get the vehicle back, the radio has no sound. I don't get prompted for the radio code, and all the radio functions work, but I don't hear any sound no matter where I put the volume.

The interesting part, is that after 2-3 days...SNAP..the sound just comes back on. What's the deal? Any info is welcome.

---------------------------

1999 MB C280 Sport (115K miles)
17" AMG's / Calypso Red / Tint

Old 12-29-2005, 07:27 PM
Default RE: 1999 C280 - Radio w/No Sound After Service

This is a interesting post, when the dealer disconnects the battery, they set all the functions that need to be reset, one touch window, electronic key, sunroof, radio code, esp, and there are a few others. The radio should come on as soon as the code is reset, sound also. I assume your car is out of warranty? So having them find out why would cost $$. But that is a new one for me. do you have a CD changer in the trunk or glove compartment or the radio with the CD instead of a tape player. If you have any of the above, do they have sound when in use and when the radio doesn't?

Old 12-30-2005, 01:32 AM

Thanks for the reply.

This is the 2nd time it's happened. I had a tint put on the car about 3 years ago. When I got the car back from the tint shop, the radio had no sound (ditto for CD, Tape deck), they all "look" and "move" like they're working. I can adjust the volume and see the volume indicator move upwards, but no sound. I do have the 6 Disc Mercedes CD Changer and it is mounted in the right side of the trunk.

I just got the car back from putting the tint on again (long story). The sound still hasn't come back. I'm hopeful it will kick in in a few days like it did last time.

I only "assumed" the tint shop disconnects the battery, I am not knowledgeable enough about tints to know what is required.

Old 12-30-2005, 03:17 PM

The antenna is in the rear window, it is the vertical wire in the middle Perhaps when the put the tint on they "cut" the antenna or more likely the tint is interfering with the receptio. Plastic is not a good conductor for things like sound signals etc. It has to be one of the other, as if you recoded the radio and the it works with no sound, any static? If there is no static, then perhaps the installer broke the chain in the antenna system or the plastic is too thick. I am taking a real wild guess here, perhaps the tint material shorted out the antenna? Anyway, in my owners manual Mercedes does not recommend window tint. Some say only on the back window where on new cars the antenna is. But my owners manual says "does not recommend window tint." I knew a person who had his windshield tinted, very light tint and his homelink stopped working, the tint came off and the homelink worked. A good tint shop would know all this, at least I hope they would. I see C Class cars now and then around here with only the side windows tinted, with a light tint it doesn't look too bad and serves the same purpose. Darker tint is just a Mafia thing IMHO.

Old 12-30-2005, 05:04 PM

The antenna in the glass is on top of the tint, therefore, the tint can't block a signal. It's enclosed underneath some adhesive. The two never touch. The tint has no properties to magically project itself onto the other side of the antenna. It's more likely the tint shop broke the antenna somewhere, if indeed they caused the problem. They run a razor all the way around the glass, so a dufus could have cut the antenna. It doesn't explain why the radio quits working just because the car goes to a shop, though.

Since the Homelink uses RF signals and they were being projected from behind the tint, metallic tints can cause a problem with them. Not always, though. It just depends. Beside, tint on windshields is not only stupid, but illegal. Serves the dumb f*** right.

Old 12-30-2005, 06:14 PM

I understand all the "talk" about tinting cutting off the radio antennae, but my issue isn't with just the radio function. My MB head unit has CD, Tape, Phone, and Radio. All of which work, none of which produce any sound. Call me crazy, but a busted/sliced/severed antenna might kill sound for radio, but it couldn't affect the CD player or Tape deck right?

Also, tinting is not illegal (at least not in the state of Maryland where I am). The only facts I can tell you about this problem is that it has only happened once before and it was the 1st time I got a tint put on the vehicle. I left the shop, the sound did not work - I was all set to raise holy hell with the owner of the tint shop for "busting" my radio, and then a few days later - I started the car, and POOF the radio/cd/tape/phone had sound again.

The sound still hasn't come back (the tint was done on Wednesday, this is Friday). I am hopeful it will come back like it did last time.

Old 12-30-2005, 08:42 PM

Actually, I was arguing that the tint it's unlikely the cause of your problems because of how the problem manifests itself. Reread my post before you get lippy with me. You won;t look so stupid. Beside, I was replying to C280 wizard.

Tint on the windshield is illegal in MD. I said the windshield. Deal with it.

F*** you, your car, and your problem, a$$wipe.

Old 12-30-2005, 10:23 PM

My 6 CD changer in the trunk would fail now and then, I would open the trunk fool around with the wires and it worked. One day it failed and the wire trick didn't work. I took it to the dealer and it was the radio head that was a problem. The radio was replaced to the tune of $900 and that is with a 15% parts discount and no more problems with the CD changer. I down have the phone, but the all the other stuff works. We have Fast Lane here in Mass, it is a plastic box you attach to the inside of your windshield and it records the tolls you pay on I90, it is called something else in NY, NJ and even Maryland it works. The state recommends you put it in from and to the right side o the rear view mirror. I did and the fast lane box stopped working. I went to a MV fast lane store. They tested it and it was OK. They asked what kind of car I had, I said a 99 Mercedes
Benz. The clerk said that is the problem and gave me a black box that is screwed to the two top screws on your front license plate. The clerk mentioned this "stuff" (sic) inside the rearview mirror and the "black stuff" (sic) on the top of the windshield won't allow these windshief mounted boxes to work right or as in my case not at all. Not only on Mercedes but Lexus's cars also. My soon to be xwife 04 Hyundai's homelink doesn't interfere with the windshield mounted fastlane, but she doesn't have that "back stuff" on top of the windshield?

Old 12-30-2005, 11:49 PM

Yeah, see? "It just depends." Sometimes they work and sometimes they don't. I'm sure it can be explained, but you need to know more about these devices than I ever care to know.

I have an aftermarket metallic tinted strip along the top of the windshield and tinted windows all around on my Chevelle. My garage door opener and radar detector work from behind it. The radar detector works through the side and rear windows as well, which all have metallic tint. I have the V1 radar detector and it indicates from which direction the radar signal is originating (front, left, right, or rear).

For all I know, the signals are bounced around until they get out of the car or enter the car. This can't be the case, however, with the V1. If it were true for it, the detector would always indicate the signal is coming from the front.

As far as phidelt0135's sound system problem, I dunno. If it were me, I'd disconnect the battery to reset it and see what happens. Then get a new head unit if it still didn't work.

Old 01-01-2006, 11:38 PM

I agree the only thing left is to reset the computer and if that doesn't work a new head unit is probably in order.

Quick Reply: 1999 C280 - Radio w/No Sound After Service