Mercedes C Class Mercedes C230 Kompressor, Mercedes C240, Mercedes C280, Mercedes C320, Mercedes C350 Sedans, Coupes, and Wagons.

1998 C280 Motor Mount Replacement

Search this Thread

Old 01-31-2010, 09:05 AM
Default 1998 C280 Motor Mount Replacement

Just did my motor mounts. Not too bad of a job, figured I'd post a couple notes.

I found the only way to get the bulky motor mounts out after you remove the bolts is to take off the AC compressor and move it forward (DON"T disconnect the lines), and remove the alternator. I have seen references to folks getting them out with out removing those, but I don't see how. The things are huge.

The top bolt is 16MM I found that a ratcheting box end wrench worked very well. On the drivers side there is adequate access from the back to get your hand and the wrench up there. The passenger side is easy to access from the front, top side, once the alternator is out.

The lower bolts are 13MM and very easy to get to.

I had the car on ramps. Then jacked up the engine with a floor jack supporting the oil pan with a block of wood.

I got the Febu replacement mounts. The come with some sort of rubber cover thing. I'm assuming that was for some sort of protection during shipping as you toss those when you install them. Those maybe used on a different model or something, but they interfere with the little position tab on the top. I farted around with trying to use those when first trying to install them and it made it impossible, heck the ones coming out did not have them.

There was no evidence of leaking on my old ones (kind of what I was expecting), but the old ones were almost an inch shorter.

Once you have the top bolts in, just tighten them hand tight. Then lower the engine so the mounts are ALMOST touching the bottom. Then go ahead and get the lower bolts started. You may need to move the mounts a little to get the holes aligned, that is why the tops should be a little loose. Mine lined up well, with just some minor adjustments need on the passenger side.

Then lower the engine completely and tighten up the bolts.

I also replaced my water pump at the same time so it was easy to take out the alternator and move the AC compressor as I had the fan and shroud out.

This completely resolved my vibration at idle problem.

Last edited by Hookster; 02-07-2010 at 01:54 PM.