Mercedes M Class Mercedes ML350 and Mercedes ML500 SUV's.

w163 Motor Mount Replacement

Old 09-26-2013, 09:37 AM
Default w163 Motor Mount Replacement

Ok, here it is. If you are going to change your motor mounts don't be scared, take your time, it's easy. I will be detailing the driver side motor mount as the passenger side and transmission are straight forward. The motor can not be lifted high enough to remove the mount without removing the aluminum bracket from the motor itself.

Remove the splash guard from the bottom of radiator/belt area. Remove the two clips from the fan shroud. Relieve serpentine belt tension and pull belt off a/c compressor. (This is best done from the bottom as the tensioner has enough throw you will be into the upper radiator hose with your breaker bar before all tension is relieved.) Pull up on shroud to release from clips and leave ln place loose on fan. (This is to prevent fan damage when lifting engine). Jack up vehicle and remove tire. Remove inner fender. Remove two metal heat shields hiding engine from view. Use 18mm offset box wrench (ratcheting preferred) to remove upper engine mount nut. (not enough clearance to exhaust manifold for socket) Remove lower two engine mount nuts (16 mm). (deep socket for front and stubby with swivel on extension for back). Remove 3 bolts holding a/c compressor in place and leave in place. Place jack with block of wood on oil pan. Lift engine enough to give a straight shot through the wheel well to the bolts on the aluminum motor mount bracket. Once this bracket is removed from the engine take out old motor mount and and install new one. Bolt the bracket back to the engine and lower engine back onto your new motor mount. Reinstall everything the way the you took it out. Please use jackstands and be safe while doing this. I am making the assumption that you have some mechanical knowledge if you are attempting this job. Please feel free to comment, help me make this better if I missed anything.

Old 04-02-2016, 05:50 PM

Which side of the motor mount faces the front, as one side is shorter than the other side
and Febi Motor mount are not marked which side faces the front.
This is for a 2000 ML55.
Please let me know
Thks
Barry

Old 04-03-2016, 05:19 PM

The motor mounts have an arrow on them or they say FRONT. I don't know about the ml55, but on the 430s I remove the motor mount bracket. The top bolt of the motor mount is long and it hits the bottom of the exhaust manifold, thus making it hard to remove the motor mount.