Mercedes C Class Mercedes C230 Kompressor, Mercedes C240, Mercedes C280, Mercedes C320, Mercedes C350 Sedans, Coupes, and Wagons.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

1997 C-280. Remote/blade key $254?!?!?

Search this Thread

Old 03-10-2010, 09:38 PM
Default 1997 C-280. Remote/blade key $254?!?!?

I just acquired a sweet little 1997 C-280. There is only one key (the "switchblade type with "remote" to unlock doors) so I went to Smythe European in San Jose today to order a new one. (Having ordered one of the "electronic keys" for a 1999 C-230K a few years ago at a cost of $200, I was aware that the "keyless" ones were kinda expensive).

I walked into the Parts Dept. and this very young lady tells me "those are over $300 - how many would you like?" She didn't even ask what year or anything. I said that at $300 I didn't want ANY.
I went outside, called the other dealer in San Jose and another young lady helped me out. She asked all of the right questions but still quoted $254. DANG!

Is this REALLY what they cost? The second young lady told me that this was a one-year only type of remote, which I am finding difficult to believe too.

Is there a way to buy one used (Ebay, Craigslist, dismantler / wrecking yard) and have it "programmed"???

PLEASE tell me that there is an option besides paying $254. The thing is, the dumb thing is so thick I don't even WANT to carry this in my pocket. I would rather just have a regular key but the driver's door doesn't even have a mechanical lock!!!

Anyone have any insight on this situation? Do I have any options?

Old 03-11-2010, 03:16 PM

Haha! I'm actually in the same boat than you with my 97 C230. Well... Sort of...

I'm assuming you have at least one remote that locks/unlocks the car remotely? I have two remotes, but neither one operates the locks. So far I've been able to verify at AutoZone that one of them works after changing batteries, but still nothing happens in the car. Haven't been able to synchronize it, either.

So, at the moment I have to lock each door manually from inside of the car and unlock everything from the trunk lock.

I also have a couple of other bugs with the system, so I think I will start with changing the rearview mirror to see if there is something wrong with the IR receiver. Then I guess it is on to the door actuators etc. etc.

As far as I have been able to figure out from various message boards, a new remote is the only way to go in your situation. Used keys can not be reprogrammed is what I've understood.

Old 03-11-2010, 07:14 PM
Default Keys

Dealer is the only game in town, do not buy keys from any where else they can not be reprogramed

jerry

Old 06-08-2010, 09:47 AM

Don't go with USKeyless. They are HORRIBLE! I ordered from them as well. They didn't even ship the part for over a month after purchase despite numerous calls/emails. They were eager to respond until they got paid, then NOTHING. They won't answer phone or return e-mails. Their installation instructions are the worst I have ever seen. It says something like "Chooser the brown wire" when there is over 100 brown wires. They are NEVER available for assistance even though they claim assistance available (and website says avail even on the weekends for assistance). Now it has been 3 months, my car still has the floorboard tore up awaiting a PROMISED e-mail with pictures, but nothing. I have asked for a refund, but they won't respond. STAY AWAY from USKeyless!

Old 06-09-2010, 12:20 PM

Contact www.buymbparts.biz

Ask for Rusty

You will save money