Mercedes AMG Class All AMG Models.

thinking of buying a '95 c36...need input

Search this Thread

Old 07-20-2006, 03:38 AM
Default thinking of buying a '95 c36...need input

hey everybody i've been in the market for my first mercedes for quite some time now. I have until recently been searching for a 1999-2000 c230k with the sport package with reasonable mileage and a reasonable price. I decided on this car until i learned of the awesome performance of the amg models of the c-class. I have found what i think is a good deal on a c36 the only problem is that its 400 miles away in NJ so its not like i can test drive it and inspect it beforehand. I have been researching and i have found that the '95 model is prone to head gasket and wiring harness failure. I am very good with american sports cars having completely torn down and rebuilt engines from the bare block and doing countless chassis jobs on my own and my cousin's car but like i said this will be my first mercedes. I am going into college next fall and i will pay for this car completely on my own. I need to know how common these problems are and the cost involved in replacement...keep in mind i am confident i can do the labor myself. obviously i am on a limited budget. i can afford the car but any major repairs needed soon after the purchase would be very hard to pay for.

please take a look at the car and tell me what you think:
http://www.autotrader.com/fyc/vdp.js...en&cardist=445

thanks alot,
Cory

Old 07-20-2006, 11:46 AM
Super Moderator
Default RE: thinking of buying a '95 c36...need input

Two things:

1) Great find and a reasonable price for the car. Call a local mechanic in the sellers area who does pre-purchase inspections and expect to drop $200 for a complete lookover and get a written report from him/her. You may find spending the money on a car you don't buy is the best investment you ever made.
This goes for any valuable used car you are pondering.

2) All AMG models have very expensive unique parts that are not on other MB models. You need to make sure you can afford to keep up the car. It ain't a Ford.

I hope you enjoy your purchase if you decide it is right for you! Good luck.

Old 07-21-2006, 02:55 AM
Default RE: thinking of buying a '95 c36...need input

i think paying a mechanic to take a look at the car is a really good idea, but how do i go about finding someone to do it?