Mercedes AMG Class All AMG Models.

Nitrous S/C AMG!

Search this Thread

Old 06-20-2004, 12:48 AM
Default Nitrous S/C AMG!

Hello, I'm new here and have been joining all the MB sites as I am now the proud owner of a 2004 S/C AMG and just now found this site to occupy some of my free time. Very interesting reading over here!

I would like some insight on the topic of nitrous oxide on these cars..

I was poking around on the corvette forum, (I have a 2002 Z06-BTW) and found that a company over there is successfully working on/testing a nitrous kit for these S/C cars and they have made some pretty impressive numbers so far. What do you think? I just had a modified S/C Mustang hand me my butt the other day, so I've got to do something...

http://forums.corvetteforum.com/zerothread?id=844760

-rp

Old 06-20-2004, 08:54 AM
Default RE: Nitrous S/C AMG!

Someone will always own a faster car. An MB is not meant to be hacked up for the 1320. Leave the nitrous for the dental patients, the muscle cars, and the dental patients who own muscle cars.

Where's the honor in beating a Mustang in the qtr anyway, especially if you have to use nitrous to do it? Big deal. The honor will always go to the Mustang owner for spending a few pennies to your every dollar to nip at your heels and occasionally lead the way. You must hear that bang-for-the-buck crap from the F-body crowd all the time, eh? Imagine how fast the Mustang would be if the owner spent as much total money on it as you paid for your car just to get the keys.

Of course, this is just one goombah's solicited opinion.

Old 06-21-2004, 09:37 PM

For me, its a personal thing of liking ALL of my cars to be fast, especially those that are out of the mainstream of aftermarket modification processes. I have no interest in the quarter mile, nor do I have any interest in "street racing", as it were, but I do enjoy running a car to its maximum potential of its performance envelope. I don't think I've EVER owned a "stock" car for very long and the people I choose to business with regarding my car, have been researched fully before I make any move to do anything to add power.

I come from a mechanical engineering background, so I understand the automotive industry better than the average car owner and having that ability enables me to sift the "wheat from the shaff" when it comes to what is hype and what really is functional.

I do know that the owner of this company that tested this E55 nitrous set-up was formerly with Lingenfelter, so I'm sure that he is in business because he does know what he is doing....

The bottom line for me is that I want my AMG to perform out of the ordinary and I'm not willing to wait forever for the warranty term to expire to make the car the way I want it. If the power enhancements carry sound engineering principles, is installed professionally and neatly without reliability issues, why wouldn't I do it? I'm not one to "follow the leader" and be reactive to what's available in the aftermarket, but I guess that's why my Corvette already has been modified w/ a supercharger when it was 563 miles new and that thing flat out screams to the tune of 641 RWHP. Do I need that much power, probably not, but it sure is a HUGE rush to open that car up on an airport runway (a friend is employed there, BTW) to feel that acceleration pull. If something is available like this for the much better built AMG, why not.... Besides, I've never had any negative warranty issues with German engineering in the past anyway, so "voiding it" does not concern me.

-rp

Old 06-22-2004, 09:48 AM

My point is that "nitrous" and "reliability" are mutually exclusive in automotive terms. Finding and using the maximum performance potential of a car is very satisfying for me too. Using nitrous is cheating in my book. It's like an athlete who takes steroids.

... just my opinion.

Old 02-02-2005, 12:55 PM

well i like using nitrous as well!! i have contemplated installing a 75 shot on my c280 just for a little kick!!

Old 02-02-2005, 03:54 PM

Good for you.

Old 02-05-2005, 07:05 AM

i myself HATE! to modify mercs they have already reached their own limit and STOP! forcing them to work over their limits.AMG cars are having man-made engines and NOT machine made engines.if you drive a Honda,it is OK to modify it and modified mercs(excluding AMG)are Not real mercs.

Old 02-05-2005, 08:40 AM
Super Moderator

i agree.

if you need more power, buy the engine with 12 pistons on it.

Old 02-07-2005, 07:45 AM

well,that is only my little experience,i can tell u more about AMG and mercedes cars.

Old 03-28-2005, 07:04 PM

ORIGINAL: benzyfan

i myself HATE! to modify mercs they have already reached their own limit and STOP! forcing them to work over their limits.AMG cars are having man-made engines and NOT machine made engines.if you drive a Honda,it is OK to modify it and modified mercs(excluding AMG)are Not real mercs.
you didnt make much sense, but i see where your going with this.
an AMG model benz is essentially and modded benz. although the AMG models have hand built motors, this however, doesn't at all mean they are capable of making more power. look at it from this point of veiw, the AMG motor are built to last! out of all my benzes not once have i had a motor go, never, period. the AMG motor can be modded to an extended and like every other motor on planet earth, the more power you squeeze out of the motor before doing internal work, the faster the motor will wear. also keep in mind not all hondas are mass produced, machined built POSs'. my s2000 has a hand built motor, including all Type Rs' and NSXs'. those motors, although low torque are amazing motors.

john

Quick Reply: Nitrous S/C AMG!