Mercedes AMG Class All AMG Models.

Merc noob; cheap AMG - is it possible?

Search this Thread

Old 02-25-2010, 09:27 AM
Default Merc noob; cheap AMG - is it possible?

Hi all. I need to replace the old Mitsubishi FTO this summer. I'd like something on the cheaper scale, reasonable quick, not too small, and to be honest I thought that Mercedes was out of my league.

This one looks very nice.
http://www.pistonheads.com/sales/1432687.htm

Can you really buy this much car for the money???

Oh, and is there an FAQ that explains what C/E/S classes are and what the numbers (like E55) mean?

Thanks.

Old 02-26-2010, 03:54 PM

Bumpski

Old 02-28-2010, 03:04 AM

you can find good deals sometimes it just depends on why it is such a good deal and if you can live with the reason it was such a low price.

I bought a 3000gt for 1,500 dollars because the car smoked at idle. turns out all it needed was new valve guide seals. a few other minor things but I can live with it.
bought a miata 1 owner with 34k miles on it for 1,200 dollars. car had been rear ended and bent the frame between the rear wheels and the rear bumper. trunk still closes and got all the dents out of the rear. still got a true for wheel alignment on it and still rolling to 99k miles today. car has already outlived its pricetag to me.

C class E class etc. that is just how they name there models. there is more to it than that but that is the jist. E55 5.5l AMG hand built v8.

I know I didn't answer all your questions but if you want anything else in more detail let me know and I will try my best.

Old 02-28-2010, 03:41 AM

Thanks for that. Nearer the time I might give whomever a call and ask some questions.

Are there any common faults with these?

Old 02-28-2010, 12:51 PM

don't see a lot of the E55's of that year but mostly mechanical such as ball joints wearing, leaking valve covers(not really a big deal and easy fix). Replacing spark plugs can get pricey because there are 2 per cylinder and plug wires are 50 to 80 dollars each. I just replace wires as needed. If there is a rear main seal leaking that can be changed pretty easily by removing transmision. AMG engines are built very loose so they tend to use a little bit of oil anyway. The lifters are kinda loud but nothing to worry about. Its really a pretty solid car.

Old 02-28-2010, 04:14 PM

Thanks, thats quite reassuring.

Are there any FAQ's anywhere that go over service intervals, running costs, when the cambelt needs changed...?

Old 03-08-2010, 05:13 AM

Just bumping back up and asking again for more info on these cars.

I'm looking at a T-reg (1999) 'factory' E55 AMG with 89k miles on the clock.

I've emailed the seller asking if there is any work outstanding with it and I also asked about belts (cambelt etc) and I'm awaiting a reply.

Can I ask for info on this car please from you guys in the know? Like what are the service intervals etc?
I see it has a timing chain instead of a belt - what's the maintenance on this and does it need replaced?
I'm also interested in things such as the gearbox operation (sport mode / manual override etc?) and any other info that I will be interested in on this car.

Thanks in anticipation.

Last edited by Horrgakx; 03-08-2010 at 05:50 AM.
Old 03-10-2010, 06:11 PM

the chain is not something you have to service unless it breaks. services generally run about every 10k miles. transmision fluid and filter at 39k miles. engine air filters every other oil change. replace brake fluid every other oil change. fuel filter at around 60k miles. spark plugs and wires at 100k miles. the wires are expensive and I only replace the ones that are necessary to change. that car with a v8 has 2 spark plugs per cylinder, 16 plugs and 16 wires. v-belt at 60k or as needed. coolant at 100k miles. these are simply guidelines they very with the way the car is driven.

typically sport mode uses all the gears and comfort mode(winter mode in some cars) starts in 2nd gear for a less jerky take off. manual mode lets you decide when to shift the gears but if you get close to redline it will shift for you just to protect the engine and trans. hope this helps.

Old 03-11-2010, 01:35 AM

Thanks for the reply.

I'm going to look at the car in 2 days time. If I like it I'll put a deposit down.