Mercedes AMG Class All AMG Models.

Looking to upgrade Sl65 AMG

Search this Thread

Old 09-13-2005, 11:40 PM
Default Looking to upgrade Sl65 AMG

Hey guys, I am new here, and am looking to upgrade our SL65 AMG. I am very familiar with the car, and automotive performance in general.

Here is what I'd like out of the car:

-Another 50-100 horsepower.
-That ****ing speed limiter GONE.
-The ability to turn traction control off, all the way off.

That is about all for now. The braking is amazing on the car, but due to EXTREMELY 'spirited' driving, we have cracked the front rotors, and turned them colors they shouldn't be. The dealer is replacing these under warranty of course, but I'd like to know if there are any upgradable rotors/pads out there so we don't have to worry about not having brakes after a hard stop(Consecutive 0-155-0 runs).

Thanks a lot for any help, and hopefully this car will make me shake when I'm done with it, becuase as it sits, it just makes my heart skip a few beats.

Oh, and money isn't an issue(Could you have guessed?), although I do not want to get too deep into it, just want bolt ons, such as exhaust sytems, better turbochargers/intercoolers, camshafts/intake manifolds, ECU programming, and other mods of the like. No engine swaps...Although, there aren't many motors I'd replace it with.

Old 09-14-2005, 07:31 AM
Default RE: Looking to upgrade Sl65 AMG

Renntech ECU flash. This will take care of the first two things you want. And to take traction control all the way off all you have to do is put the car in dyno mode (You wont have ESP or ABS either). In terms of brakes Evosport might have some rotors to upgrade. Otherwise look at companies like Brabus, Stoptech, Brembo to see if they hae any big brake kits for your car. I think you already have HUGE calipers though. Myabe you can be the first to fit the twin 8 piston calipers (2 calipers on each rotor)from a maybach onto your SL65! Nice car by the way.

Old 09-14-2005, 01:10 PM

We actually have a Maybach(Crappy pics below).

How do I put the car in dyno mode? I thought I knew a lot about this car and its systems, guess not...lol...I will surely look into that ECU flash, although I'd be surprised if I'm going to get 50-100hp from it, the SL already runs what, 26psi boost? That is quite a bit, especially on 9:1 compression. But it does have a very efficient and accurate ignition and fuel delivery system.

As for the braking. The Mayback brakes are cool and all(Dual calipers on the front), but they wouldn't help the SL significantly IMHO. On the Maybach the forst caliper is for easy braking, the second being for hard braking. And their only notible difference is the pads IIRC. The braking power isn't the problem for the SL, its the fact that the rotors aren't strong enough(For our driving...hehe) As far as braking power goes, its quite amazing, I just wish they wouldn't fade. I doubt there are very many people who can even get the SL65 brakes to fade, but I have, and it bothers me. I may look into those name brand companies for better rotors. If I added calipers to the SL, that would just be another 30% less braking surface to dissapate heat with, and that is what I'm trying to do, keep them cooler under extreme conditions.

Thanks for the help!

Old 09-14-2005, 04:10 PM

Just checked the stats on the renntech ECU/TCU upgrade and it brings the power to 650hp/840lbs torque. How you like me now? By the way, get me in on whatever you're doin, thats a KILLER stable!

Old 09-14-2005, 05:43 PM

Yes there are some pretty impressive cars.

Others include a lifted F350 Harlye Davidson Diesel, a Porsche 996 twin turbo, Subaru WRX STi, and an Acura TSX. They are all nice cars, and fun in their own ways. But taking care of them is A LOT of work.

These aren't my cars again, we just do all of the upkeep and modification for the owners. Our cars include a BMW Z3, E55 AMG(Coming soon, we havn't picked it up yet), CLK320, and a few Pontiacs (Firebird and a Fiero).

Yah I was doing a lto of reading on Renntech, and those are some pretty impressive power increases for sure, especially with just tuning.

Old 09-22-2005, 11:44 PM

we just finished programming a SL65 over in the UK, camera phone picture at 200mph on the M4 motorway. let me know if you have any software questions. Back in the cali now.

Old 09-23-2005, 12:10 AM

ORIGINAL: jags

we just finished programming a SL65 over in the UK, camera phone picture at 200mph on the M4 motorway. let me know if you have any software questions. Back in the cali now.
Are you affiliated with Renntech at all or have a company? If so, do you have a website?

Old 09-23-2005, 01:16 PM

web address is www.singhautosport.com and we've been doing software for about 15 years. The site is still under construction but you can call (510)656 5937 and we'll send you a brochure. All the software is tested in Europe with real driving conditions and no dyno's, I programmed a S-class Bi-turbo the otherday in San Francisco and the car hits hard now. The car was originally restricted to 135mph (what were they thinking?), the result now... all the restrictions have been removed in the ECU, no speedlimiter and the power has been increased by 70hp. We make software more affordable for all drivers, SL65 is about 1500usd and you would have to mail the ecu to us in California (all instructions provided) and we send it back within 24 hrs on a overnight service. No physical modifications just plug and play so it doesn't mess with your warranty.

Old 09-23-2005, 01:30 PM

Just tell your master to buy one of these.

Old 09-23-2005, 01:32 PM

ORIGINAL: jags

web address is www.singhautosport.com and we've been doing software for about 15 years. The site is still under construction but you can call (510)656 5937 and we'll send you a brochure. All the software is tested in Europe with real driving conditions and no dyno's, I programmed a S-class Bi-turbo the otherday in San Francisco and the car hits hard now. The car was originally restricted to 135mph (what were they thinking?), the result now... all the restrictions have been removed in the ECU, no speedlimiter and the power has been increased by 70hp. We make software more affordable for all drivers, SL65 is about 1500usd and you would have to mail the ecu to us in California (all instructions provided) and we send it back within 24 hrs on a overnight service. No physical modifications just plug and play so it doesn't mess with your warranty.
What all do you do to the car and its parameters to get the 70hp?

We are in California, so that wouldn't be such a problem. I'm going to talk to Renntech soon and see why they are charging near 6 graand for what seemingly is the same service.

Quick Reply: Looking to upgrade Sl65 AMG