Mercedes AMG Class All AMG Models.

I'm in love

Search this Thread

Old 04-12-2006, 01:16 AM
Default I'm in love

Oh, so there's an AMG dedicated forum! Wish I'd known that before I posted to the CLK forum... I was wondering as to the lack of replies.

Anyhow.

As of Saturday night, I am the proud owner of a triple black 2002 CLK55 AMG Convertible. I can sum it up in three words...

WHAT A CAR!!!

Shoot, I've driven 911's, I've driven M3's, I've driven XK's... the jags have lots of style, the 911's have their precision, the M3's have their amazing roadfeel, but nothing... nothing... can touch this car when it comes to the overall package, how it conducts itself with so much CLASS. It's not any specific element of the car, instead it's the sum of its parts, which in this case is a whole lot more. A WHOLE lot.

Funny thing is, I've enjoyed it a couple days then put it back in the dealer for a due bill which included an alignment. I noticed when I test drove it that it was pulling a bit and there was this shake of the wheel at certain speeds. I've been loving every minute until this morning, but just a couple hours ago I got it back after the alignment was done and oh, MAN! I knew I was losing a bit because it wasn't perfect with the alignment slightly off, but now that it IS perfect, the experience trascends the boundaries of this world. I can't stop thinking about it. I think I'm in danger of becoming obssessed.

And let me tell you something. I don't care what the idiot reviewers in car magazines say. There is a huge difference between the regular CLK's and the AMG version. HUGE. It's like the same car from a different planet. Sure, the price difference is severe, but I drove a CLK500 before I got this baby and while CLK500 is nice, I had the same reaction to it that I did to the last 911 I drove: really nice, I could see myself driving one for a while, but it wasn't earth shattering. Same with the last XK8 I tried. But this AMG car... I mean, wow. Just amazing.

What can I say? I always thought Benzes were for old farts. Either I've become an old fart or I've just discovered a secret that few seem to really know - the secret of AMG. They somehow got this one right - the perfect compromise of power, feel, comfort, style and panache. I can't wait to drive this baby around for the next 4 years - and I can't wait for the next AMG I'm gonna buy.

Wow.

Old 04-23-2006, 06:02 PM
Default RE: I'm in love

It's the secret!

I'm In !

Congrats !

Old 06-25-2006, 10:02 PM

Congrats on the new ride. I can totally relate to everything you stated in your post.

Old 01-29-2008, 10:44 AM

I completely agree with your post. I purchased an 05 CLK 55 AMG convert one week ago. I visit it last thing at night before bed, then can't sleep waiting to drive to work. I don't care about traffic jambs or obnoxious drivers. i am in my own world.
I also drove a nice 05 500 and it was too cushy in curves. It had enough power to spin around at the drop of a hat but it didn't grab and hold the curves like this beast I am driving. I will never go back to a lesser car!
07 BMW 328i hardtop was a let down compared to this car.
Only thing that bothers me is similarity to body style of the Chrysler Sebring...oh horrors.