Mercedes AMG Class All AMG Models.

AMG factory directional drilled rotors ???

Search this Thread

Old 10-20-2007, 01:59 PM
Default AMG factory directional drilled rotors ???

Had a slight warp in one front and one rear rotor on my 03 E55. After I cut all four on my brake lathe, I noticed that both front rotors are the same andboth rear are the same as well . Both the drill pattern and the internal directional vents are identical and should be for the left side (counterclockwise rotation) only. Thinking the factory put four left rotors on, I headed down to my local dealer. EveryAMG I saw with drilled rotors was the same! I was told there was only one part # for the front and one for the rear. I couldn't believe my eyes and ears. How does Mercedes get away with putting a directional rotor on the wrong side of the car? Porsche, BMW, Corvette- and any aftermarket big brake setup- they all have a right and leftdue tothe internallyangled cooling vanes. Spinning them in one direction increases cooling airflow, while spinning in the opposite direction the air flow is less.That would explain why justmy right side rotors were warped. Does anybody have any insight? Any Mercedes techs had to explain this before? Is this German engineering at its finest or were these rotors made in China???

Old 10-25-2007, 05:40 PM
Default RE: AMG factory directional drilled rotors ???

I would be interested to hear if you find out anything from MB. I had a problem with mine showing small crackson the front ones, with about 25k miles on them. I wrote to AMG -no reply to my inquiry. Dealer and MB Canada said car had been driven "in a very demanding environment" warranty denied. Interesting to note on one of MB's sales brochures there is a picture showing the front rotors glowing red hot and infference to what these things are supposed to withstand. I have finnaly decided to order the new rotors having given up on waiting for MB to get back to me. The no response atually pisses me off more than the cracked rotors.