Interior What have you done to the inside of your ride? Talk about it here.

interior design questions-advice/opinions please

Search this Thread

Old 08-08-2006, 07:22 PM
Default interior design questions-advice/opinions please

Hello all- 1984 300D Turbo:
many interior questions-

1. has anyone successfully updated the front seats, ie- is there an easy seat swap from a newer, W124 or later, Mercedes that will fit with little to no modification?

2. Are the instrument panel lights, besides the gauge cluster, and by this I mean the fan controls, climate controls, sunroof controls, and power window controls, supposed to be lit? if so, how difficult is the fix?

3. Why do the power windows suck so bad? I have purchased a repair slider kit from AutoHaus AZ for $8. I am going to attempt to repair the pass. side rear window- is this a step in the right direction?

4. Radio/speaker replacement- OK- this is really important- I have installed a stereo in my 96 VW Jetta and a Pontiac Grand Scam, but never a vehicle this old- what is the difficulty level/procedure and what tips are there for not completely destroying that panel area?

that is all...for now!
Any help will be gladly accepted!

Ben

Old 08-10-2006, 04:24 AM
Super Moderator
Default RE: interior design questions-advice/opinions please

1) Nevr did it and don't know.

2) They should be lit, if equipped. And if all of them are out, it could be anything from a fuse to that your car isn't equipped with lit buttons.

3) Well the electronic things are aging and things start to not work like they used to, such as it may stick, or work slower, and stuff. Now, I never really heard of that $8 dollar kit working for these windows but you never know. I guess if it don't work, it's only $8 and then you can take it in and get if fixed for real. It's not too hard assuming it's a track and or window motor or component mechanical problem. It even could be the switch itself, whi ch is a fairly easy fix.

4) As long as you can find the right adaptors for the new stereo to fit the current wires, you are good to go. The hardest part is finding the adaptors to install the new in dash stereo unit. A regular stereo unti should fit perfectly without much modifications. Nothing should be destroyed. If you need to run new wires for a reason, some stuff where you need to run wires is tight, well put together and hard to remove and put back in place, but the above average installer should have no problems with that.