Interior What have you done to the inside of your ride? Talk about it here.

The dreaded peeling interior

Search this Thread

Old 07-05-2005, 01:21 PM
Super Moderator
Default The dreaded peeling interior

I have a black 2001 Slk320 with the solid black (well..really dark grey leather look) vinyl trim pack with real leather seats, etc. I have pealing surface areas on the center console and the drivers door handle exposing the basic black trim pack beneath. Any ideas on products and proceedures to repair these areas rather than purchasing new ones?
Thanks for the help.

Old 07-05-2005, 03:19 PM
Default RE: The dreaded peeling interior

Do you keep the top down a lot? probably caused by sun damage then and the adhesive heating up and lifting off. When I had a Z3 I always put the top up if the car sat in the sun for a long time. Or it could be a defect from the factory. If so, good luck trying to get Mercedes to fix it, There could be a couple of ways of fixing but a picture or two would help. send to the email on my profile if you would like. Or post to the board, someone might have a better idea than I.

Old 07-06-2005, 12:08 AM
Super Moderator

my ten cent....

[IMG]local://upfiles/1/1387FBAF1E4B4300B0783CC956DDD4E3.jpg[/IMG]

Old 07-06-2005, 01:34 AM
Super Moderator

Thanks for the input. It could be heat, since it is a southern calif. car. I am the second owner. The console damage looks like it may be a bubble or blister about the size of a quarter that "broke" and the loose material wore off. It is in the bend just above the hand brake where your elbow or forearm could have just warn it away.

The door handle damage looks like a wedding ring may have abraded away small flakes over time of use. I will send photos asap. Either way, I would like to repair the problem...and prevent it elsewhere.

Old 09-26-2005, 11:25 PM

I've seen this on quite a few SLK's. If you remove the damaged pieces,( so you don't make a mess of you interior) you may be able to strip the remaining paint off with intense compressed air blowing on it up close. If that doesn't work you might try using a heat gun on it first to loosen the paint and then the blow gun. Once you get it stripped, it can be refinished using an adhesion promoter and the proper steps as directed by the paint manufacturer. BASF, Standox, Spies Hecker and others all have plastic refinishing products, but their procedures vary a little. As with any paint work, prep and following the directions is important.

Nickspa