General Tech Post general Mercedes Tech questions here.

Xenon Light

Search this Thread

Old 10-16-2006, 11:45 PM
Default Xenon Light

Hey guys,

I got a wierd problem with my headlights, when I turn the xenon light on, the light goes shaky ( ON and OFF rapidly) and I receive the error sign check lamp R / L, sometimes get the msg ESP visit workshop, but after about 5 minutes, the light is steady and the xenon is working fine...any suggestions what this could be???

Old 10-17-2006, 04:03 AM
Default RE: Xenon Light

Hi,
Xenon headlamps are not like ordinary incandescent bulbs. They are similar to an arc light and work at very high voltage.
Since your lamp(s) are flickering this is most likely as a result of a failing power supply. Due to the high voltages this is not an area for any one other than a trained expert to investigate.warning
It is unlikely that there is a connection between the headlamps and the ESP light.
ESP sometimes occurs whilst the vehicle is getting itself to the correct height after a period of inactivity. Once height is correct the warning disappears.
Hope this explains to some extent what is happening.
Stuart.

Old 10-17-2006, 06:31 PM

Hey!!

thanks for the input, I live in Dubai, and a few people told me its the bulb to change, and the others said my xenon system is failing and I gotta change it, thats why I got all confused, and now if it power failure, thats even worse

Old 10-18-2006, 04:57 AM

Hi,
It may well be that the bulb is failing but the bulbs are VERY expensive and not the sort of component that you change only to find that it isn't the problem.

I tried to outline that Xenon lights are different to normal halogen systems in that they work at VERY HIGH (20,000) volts so there is also a SAFETY issue when trying to resolve a problem.

It is unlikely that it is both the bulb AND power supply (both located in to the light cluster) so I believe the best course of action is to get the main dealer to fix this issue ensuring you only pay for one or other of the components.

Of course the bulb is the easier component to change but I have been told (subject to confirmation) they are something like £100+. You don't indicate the age of the vehicle and therefore wether goodwill warranty might still apply. Xenon bulbs should last very much longer than ordinary filament bulbs.

If everything settles down after a few minutes I still think that the power supply is at fault rather than the bulb but it is a close call without additional information.
I favour the power supply because a cold bulb requires a higher voltage to strike than to maintain an arc. Maybe there is leakage of the EHT (extra high tension) due to moisture in the lamp cluster....unlikely in Dubai.....or similar causing EHT. Can you hear any clicking (sparks) from the area when the lamp is flickering?

Hope this provides a little more information on the problem.
Stuart

Old 10-19-2006, 01:07 AM

Hi!! thanks for answering my boring qestion! Yes I do see where ur coming from, I went to a private mechanic today, not the dealer, and he told me that he'd seen this problem before, its definately power, and not the light system and he said that the Regulator has to be changed?? Does that make any sense, coz its quiet expensive to change that!!

Old 10-19-2006, 04:43 AM

HI,
You state that the mechanic says it is the "Power system":.
However the words you use suggest something other than the headlamp power supply/pack.
I would be extremely surprised if it was anything to do with the engine power supply (i.e. Alternator or its regulator) since this would impact BOTH headlamps and many other systems as well which are voltage sensitive.
The headlamp power supply is a "box of tricks" in/adjacent to the headlamp unit. If this is what the mechanic said we are both saying the same thing.
You are right however that this power supply will also be expensive and might even mean installing a new headlamp unit complete.
Because the parts are so expensive I suggest you ask a dealer to do the job since they will have equipment to determine whether it is the bulb or power pack.
The fitting cost SHOULD BE small compared to the cost of the parts.
Can't really add anything further.
Stuaret