General Tech Post general Mercedes Tech questions here.

WIS - Tips & Tricks?

Search this Thread

Old 05-16-2006, 10:32 AM
Default WIS - Tips & Tricks?

I got some WIS DVDs off of Ebay. After some initial challenges, I got it installed last night and it is now working fine. I played around with it some, and this does not seem to be very intuitive software. Granted I did not play with it for very long, but I'm hoping some users of this software could offer some tips or tricks on using it.

Searching seems to be a cumbersome process. I wanted to see if I could find instructions for replacing ball joints or motor mounts, just something simple so I could see how the software works. I could not seem to find parts replacement information or any diagrams. Any search I did do would come back with diagnostics or wiring diagrams. Whats the best way to find stuff with this program?

Old 05-16-2006, 11:23 AM
Default RE: WIS - Tips & Tricks?

Several years ago, I bought "Mercedes Benz software" an CD-ROM for information on my C280. It was cheap and on a buy it now bid. Turned out the software couldn't be fully opened unless you had a internet connection to a certain site, the name escapes me at the present. Anyway I tried for several weeks to open in via various means over IE. Even had my son a website developer and his friend a computer engineer try and open it also.

A couple of months later I happend to be on AOL and so some reason, I put the CD-Rom into my laptop and surpise more information was available, but I'd say 70% of the CD is still locked up.

IMHO these CD sold on Ebay are copies of MB and probably illegal to start out with.

I ordered from MBUSA a parts CD-ROM for my 450SLC. The Cd opens with Microsoft office suite. Simple, easy to use and only $19.95. MBUSA's website has quite a list of manuals and CD-Rom available, the CD-rom are reasonably priced and mush easier to use. If you go to www.mbusa.com and click on support, there are links to these products.

You have to sign in on MBUSA. breate a ID and password to get full use of the site. I did a while back. But didn't know about the CD/Manual site. It was posted on another board.

eBay is great fun to use and I picked up some bargains. I recently won the center wood piece for the console on the 450SLC. It is used but in good condition and only $75 plus $15 shipping, which is high, and also illegal to charge more than the actual shipping charges. Federal law Title 49 Transportation fobids a shipper, or seller in eBay case, as well as Amazon, Yahoo, etc. haven't addressed the shipping charges. But as I said I asked the seller what form of transportation he used, his reply UPS, I called UPS with the weight origin and destination and value, and the actual shipping was $9.50 via ground.

I filed several complaints with the Surface Transportation Board, the semi regulatory body that replaced the Interstate Commerce Commission. Only one was answered. the letter stated they did not have the people power to monitor such large companies.

How do I know this? I am a X Interstate Commerce Commission practioner and a taught transportation and logistics for 26 years at a local college. Also worked for 42 years in the business until I retired back in March. The company offered me a early out package, which I said yes, without even thinking about it.

I'd stay away from eBay sellers selling these CD's and go to MBUSA, they are inexpensive and the shipping was via priority mail and the actual shipping charges were passed thru.

One Ebay seller got huffy with me when I wrote to him about is outrageous transportation or shipping charges. His excuses was he had to take into consideration the item might be sold to someone in CA, he was in NJ. So he charges the rate to the farthest point in the carriers tariff. Not legal either.

Old 05-16-2006, 09:22 PM
Default RE: WIS - Tips & Tricks?

Facinating stories and thanks for the reply. As I have browsed the many Benz forums on the web, a common question is where to get repair manuals. I've done searches on most of the forums I've come across for the answer to this question. Many say those available on the web aren't any good, but few offer alternatives (I'm speaking about W202 manuals). As I wanted/needed something, I went the Ebay route. The software works, I was just looking for tips on how to use it.

I buy a lot of stuff off Ebay. I find it is a very good source of parts for my '53 Ford Pickup I am doing a frame up restore on. If I see a part I will need (and maybe might not need it for a couple years), if I can get it for a good price, I'll bid on it. Before I bid on anything I make sure that the shipping is reasonable. If I don't think it is, I don't bother bidding. I recently paid $15 for shipping on a couple of Headlight Rings. I am sure this was higher than the actual shipping costs (i did not know about the legality issue), but even so having someone find a box and packaging, package the merchandise and get it shipped is probably worth the cost difference between the $15 and actual shipping. I still got the headlight rings for a third of what I'd pay from a vendor that has them.

MBUSA sounds like a great idea, IF you can access the site. I can't join as the VIN does not match my information in thier system (I've only held title for about a month). Not sure if that is only for folks that buy through a dealer, or if the system will catch up with registration records, but the purchase of a such software through them is not a viable option for me.