General Tech Post general Mercedes Tech questions here.

Winter Tires? Need to do very soon

Search this Thread

Old 11-05-2004, 03:27 PM
Default Winter Tires? Need to do very soon

Need advice and suggestions on best winter tires for an '04 C230K Coupe.

Here's the scoop: We live in NYC but try to get up to my parents' house in Northern Vermont as often as possible in winter so we want snows that will be very good on what can often be heavy snow. Just to make things interesting, said house is at the top of a fairly long, steep, dirt road. This, I should point out, comes at the end of a 325 mile-plus drive, which is conducted almost exclusively in the dark. Basically, we want to make sure we keep it on the road and can make it up the hill at the end of the drive.

So far, we've had the Yokohama Iceguard IG 721 recommended to us by a Vermont tire dealer, who also said we couldn't use studdeds because the tires are too big. I don't doubt his expertise but the size comment, unless I completely misheard him, doesn't really make sense to me either.

On the other hand, a Vermont Mercedes dealer parts manager suggested the Nokia Hakapolita 2's (sp?) which are studded so it seems, at the very least, that it can be done.

I supposed this is sort of a two part question: studs/no studs, and what brands/models. Any input on either or both is welcome and encouraged.

Many thanks.

Old 12-09-2004, 05:02 AM
Default RE: Winter Tires? Need to do very soon

I just got the Hankook W404 (studded) installed on my c320 Coupe. The W404 was the only one that will fit my body style and 17" rims. The size I have is 225/45-17.

The roadways here are pretty bad (think RT-9a/Sawmill Pkwy in NY or I-95 in Boston during the Big Dig) due to statewide neglect of repairs. The street I drive on is mostly dirt right now due to construction and it tracks in the mud pretty well.

I will be taking it for a drive into the pass in WA state (2+ hr drive at 15-20 grade) this weekend and I'll post an update. My friend who has a BMW M3 has the W300 and swears by them so I'll find out. So far, it's pretty good - a little soft type feel. Regarding the noise - it increases the road noise 2x - like driving with the windows open

Old 12-09-2004, 11:09 AM

The winter tires with studs and without studs are different products. The studless tires are nowadays almost as good as studded if you drive on a snowy road. But if there is clear hard ice on the road then the studded tires are still far better. On the site http://www.nokiantires.com/newsite/selector.cfm they have tire selector which tells you what tires fit into your car.

Old 12-13-2004, 02:41 AM

Well, I took my Hankook for a spin on snow. Let's just say, I'm not stuck anymore. It took powder and compacted snow very well - like driving a Jeep or Explorer. I did some slipping on ice but was able to control the sliding. I'm glad I got snow tires.

The only thing I can do without is the slight noise increase on deceleration/breaking. It sounds like I am using the engine to decelerate. I tried slowing down in 'N' and confirmed the noise from the tires. Cornering was also an issue.