General Tech Post general Mercedes Tech questions here.

What is the process of installing singal lights?

Search this Thread

Old 03-17-2006, 01:53 PM
Default What is the process of installing singal lights?

I have a 2001 s430 and I have purchased 03+ singal lights for the mirrors. is this an installation I should try myself or should I pay an auto tech to do the work? Is the installation simple? Thank you.

Old 03-17-2006, 02:10 PM
Default RE: What is the process of installing singal lights?

I tried to do thesame on my 99 C280. After looking at what had to be done, and not that familiar with cr wiring and taking apart harness etc. I sent the kit back. I've been working on cars for 30 plus years and IMHO it was too much for me to do for the reasons stated. You could have a tech do it, Who has a schematic of the wiring system. Which would me Mercedes, Some people have done it themselves and the opinions on how hard it was, I would never do that again to it was very easy. Do a search on the board, someone probably had done it in our group?

What I bought were chrome covers with the lights built in and two wires that ran the lights, which would seem easy, but you going to have take out the door panel, and the bellows that covers the wiring into the door and find the blinker wires and splice into them or run some addtional wire to the fuse box and splice into the blinkers there and add a bigger fuse. I would up buying some Audi fender lights and had a body shop drill the holes in the side of the front fenders and into the engine compartment, then I spliced into the turn signal wires, using an in line fuse before the splice. IMHO this looks much better on my car. I finally found a pair of chrome rearview mirros covers from capitalwest.com with the blinkers and IMHO they look better. Gives the old that 70p's mercedes look. Check out the August 05 Ride of the month, that;s my car and you can see the fender blimkers and I think I had the chrome covers also.