General Tech Post general Mercedes Tech questions here.

WARNING !!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Search this Thread

Old 11-18-2005, 01:51 PM
Default WARNING !!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Hello,

My car has just gone in to the garage due to a electrical short which has maybe crashed the main computer [:@]

I have just found out that Mercs have a problem with the wiring connected to the looms cause they are so close to the engine and through years of usage it deteriorates the wiring insulation due to heat and leaving the wires out in the open which by then two wires touch and presto 2grand plse[:@]

So just keep that in mind and check all the wiring around the engine and make sure the insulation is still there.....[][][][]

Old 11-18-2005, 02:22 PM
Default RE: WARNING !!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Mercedes has electrical problems with most of their models since 2000 and up. What model do you have. So your from Russell Crowe's homeland. He is one of the best actors around and also one of the most underrated, and he is a wild man, love it.

I just bought anothner Mercedes a 79 450SLC as a project car, even thou it needs little work. I am in the prcess on fixing vacuum leakes and rapping looms with electical tape or shrink tubing and the using those plastic loom covers. My daily driver is a 99 C280 and so far, no major problems with the car.

Welcome to the northern hemisphere and the start of Winter in these parts!

Old 11-18-2005, 02:28 PM
Default RE: WARNING !!!!!!!!!!!!!!

So your from Russell Crowe's homeland? One of the great actors of our time IMHO.

MB has had this problem for a while up here. The engines run so hot, and IMHO they are cheapo with insulating the wire correctly.

I just bought a project car a 79 450SLC, which really doesn't need too much done to it. But I am in the process of wrapping some of the bare wires were the looms had fell way and when I can use some shrink tubing and the wrappintg them all those plastic "turner loom cover" as I call them. My daily driver is a 99 C280

Welcome aboard, there are a lot of good people and know how folks on this forum. Watch out for me and lugnut, sometimes our meds get out of sync and we write strange stuff to one another. But lugnut, sleepwalker and a few others are the guru's of this forum.

By the way what model are you drivin" down under?