General Tech Post general Mercedes Tech questions here.

Type of fuel to burn in my 300D?

Search this Thread

Old 07-10-2007, 08:28 AM
Default Type of fuel to burn in my 300D?

It was recently suggested to me that I should burn just pure clear kerosene in my 300D.[/align]It costs about the same as diesel here (with the road tax included) and was supposed to burn cleaner resulting in better engine performance and less wear on the engine. It was also suggested that I should Not burn Biodiesel in the winter because of the excessive wear on the engine during the warm-up period. Any suggestions?[/align]

Old 07-10-2007, 03:52 PM
Default RE: Type of fuel to burn in my 300D?

I am not sure but I think I read that pure kerosene is bad for your diesel motor, I would check first.

Old 07-12-2007, 03:01 PM

Well, after a little research I found the following information :

Diesel fuel lies in the middle of the refined petroleum hierarchy and is considered one of the middle distillates -- slightly heavier than kerosene and slightly lighter than industrial (bunker) fuel oil. Like automotive gasoline, diesel fuel is refined into several sub-categories or grades.

Kerosene is too thin to work well as an engine fuel. The thickness of the diesel fuel itself acts as a lubricant to prevent wear of the engine's fuel injectors. This lubricating quality of diesel fuel is why some Old-timers still refer to it as "Diesel Oil." Adding a common lubricant to Kerosene usually decreases its ignition quality.

Numbers 1 and 2 Diesel Fuel are the primary fuel for mobile diesel engine applications. Number 1 Diesel Fuel is commonly labeled at the pump as "Premium Diesel" or with a Cetane number of 44 or 45. It is not as thick as Number 2 Diesel Fuel and for this reason is the choice for motorists during the cold winter months. The disadvantage of Number 1 Diesel Fuel is that it does not have the lubricating qualities associated with Number 2 Diesel Fuel. While Number 2 Diesel Fuel has a higher lubricating quality than Number 1 Diesel, its thickness can cause rough starting in a cold engine and rough-running in cold weather. Number 2 Diesel Fuel is usually labeled at the pump with a Cetane number of 40.

So... it looks like it might be a poor choice of fules![]

Still looking at Biodisel.

Old 07-24-2007, 09:46 PM

I used to own a logging business and ran diesel in my machinery. A truck driver turned me onto a secret of his that, he said, kept his cummins running smoothly, always. He put on around 90,000 miles hauling logs every year. He said Cennex fuel was consistently the best he'd ever used; no matter where he bought it. It was also a more expensive brand than others; but I began to use it in my skidder and had exellent luck with it. It burned cleaner also.
Gus

Old 07-26-2007, 03:21 PM

Thanks Gus!!