General Tech Post general Mercedes Tech questions here.

Tranny problems

Search this Thread

Old 02-09-2011, 06:32 PM
Default Tranny problems

Hello, I am a new member. I recently purchaced a 97 E320. After putting about 1000 miles on it, the transmission started acting up. At first it srarted to not want to shift into 2nd first thing in the mourning, its like it had to warm up alittle to long before you could take off. Then it started making a high pitched noise, but would go away, after it went through a couple of shifts. Then one day, every thing seemed OK, and while I was going about 65 mph done the highway, it jumped into like nuetral causing the engine it over rev. I put the car into nuetral and coasted to a stop. After I made a phone call for help, I started the car back up, put it in gear and it went about 5 miles and jumped out of gear again. I repeated this and made it to a fried who has a transmission shop. We changed the tranny filter and filled it with new fluid. When we started the car the check engine light was not on anymore so I drove it and it seemed to be fixed. He told me that a seal where the wiring goes into the transmission needed to be replaced because it was leaking. I put about another 500 mi. on the car with no problem until recently, its kicking out of gear again. I towed the car home and haven't done any thing till I get a good idea what the problem is. I cannot check fluid level because there is no dipstick. I need to talk to some one who knows what the problem is so when I do go to get it fixed I will have some knowledge about what it needs. Please help, I have a trip scheduled soon and would like to enjoy it in my new car instead of my 72 Chevy truck which gets about 12 MPG.

Old 02-12-2011, 12:21 PM

I posted a question under Tranny Problems, IS THERE ANYONE OUT THERE???????

Old 02-12-2011, 08:19 PM
Super Moderator

. A couple of things can cause this. It could be worn internals causing the fluid pressure to be not held at proper pressure in the proper areas, it could be the transmission cpu is sendign wrong shift signals, it could be the valve body have stuck or sticking valves The best thing to do is take it to a European transmission shop and have then look at it. That type of transmission problem is bit hard to pin point online without live for me. Maybe someone else had this before and might speak upon it. Fo mwhat I gather is that 1st gear is fine, it might shift to second and then neutral?
How did the fluid look when you changed the filter.

Old 02-13-2011, 12:19 PM

Thank You Blackwolf, The Trans fluid was brown in color. It didn't smell burnt but seemed to be in good condition for 13+ yrs. old. I drained the fluid again yesterday and filled it today. The check Engine light is still on and it doesn't want to go into gear at all. I don't have an OBD2 to turn light off, and I don't know if turning the light off will allow it to go into gear.

Old 02-13-2011, 07:00 PM

Blackwolf, After my last post, I removed the battery and had to replace it. After installing a new battery, the check engine light went out. I started the car and put it in gear and nothing happened. I am going to put the OBD2 on it tomarrow to see what codes it tripped. Then tow it to a transmission shop and have it rebuilt.

Old 03-12-2011, 09:40 PM

Wow Robcaven! It's almost as if you just wrote what happened to me recently. I've got an SLK230 that was just in the shop for replacement of a belt tensioner pulley(bearings were going out and had to catch it before it broke completely and belt went south). Of course there were updates that the MB folks did to the pulley and tensioner so it had to have updated bolts and such but during the servicing the tech mentioned there was a slight leak in the tranny and an electric plug adapter needed to be changed out. They changed it along with charge for synthetic trans. fluid (I'm assuming to bring the levels back to acceptable level vs. flush). Now when it's cold it doesn't want to shift from first to second off the line (almost seems like going from second to first and then back to second). Today I started to drive and as I'm going up the onramp the RPM's are over 4K and would not shift to next gear. I pulled over, placed the gear in 1st and seemed to correct the problem. Then tonight as I'm driving around 30 mph it suddenly shifts into neutral! I have an OBD2 and flashed code 700, I cleared it and am waiting for the CEL to return after next drive from cold start. Let me know if you have any updates on your end and I'll do the same.

Old 06-30-2011, 07:22 AM

hi guys ,i too have tranny problem,in a 92 sel 600 ,i know ,wiring lol,or crying dont know where to start ,deal is it wont go in revese when it been running but when its cold it will go into reverse,any ideas ,what it might be and where to purchase wiring harnesses for this car outside the factory 3k price tag?