General Tech Post general Mercedes Tech questions here.

Temperature guage reading??? What is the normal engine Temp?

Search this Thread

Old 04-20-2004, 01:59 AM
Default Temperature guage reading??? What is the normal engine Temp?

Hello! My name is Long and I am senior at UC Riverside.

I've just recently purchased a '94 E-420. This is my 5th MB but also is my first MB E class. The '94 E-420 that I have is very strong and runs very smooth. However, it has a temperature prob. After the car warm up for about 30 mins., the temperature guage gets all crazy and goes from 80C to 100C. to prevent overheating and burning engine I always have to turn on the heater. This is the problem when I drive inside the city. On the freeway, however, the temperature seems to remain at 80C. At first I thought it's the radiator, so I took out the radiator and gave it to a local radiator shop to clean it...still, the problem didn't stop. I even put in a new Thermostat. but the temperature still goes up to 100C...The is no oil or coolant leaks...and the fans seem to be in good condition...

I did a few researchs online, and found that "The engine temp gauge should read about 90 deg. C. once your car warms up. Above the 80 deg. number. It should not bounce around." I wonder if this is true...?

I guess the only thing left for me to do is change the waterpump. I was wondering if any of you guys with MB E420 or E320 had the same prob. Futhermore, can you guys please tell me the normal temperature reading for the 94' or 95' E420 or E320? I doubt it's 90C or 100C...

Thank you...and Please help this poor college student...I'm tired of mechanics trying to take $$$ out of my empty pocket..and telling me to fix thing that I don't really need to fix.

Old 04-20-2004, 02:14 AM
Super Moderator
Default RE: Temperature guage reading??? What is the normal engine Temp?

a poor college student who just bought a fourth mercedes-benz....?

ideal temperature reading is 87 degrees.

i still think it's the radiator. turn off the engine and try to feel for any "cold spot" on every area of the radiator. sometimes cleaning it cannot really clear the clogged up area.

check that fan clutch too (viscous clutch). it might not be functioning normally.

can you see any air bubbles from the coolant if you remove the coolant reservoir cap? (be careful of hot pressure).

Old 04-21-2004, 01:37 AM

Hi Long, sleepwalker is most likley correct, however if you have replaced and cleaned all of though components ? You could very easily have trap air bubbles from before and now. The engine needs to get hot and run the heater full and leave cap off to bleed air out of system. It's not your water pump. It pumps or does'nt no in between. Your engine would have fried by now. good luck

Old 04-21-2004, 07:52 PM

To: Sleepwalker, SanDog, and all..

Thank You for taking urs valuable time to respond to my questions.

So...The Normal or Avg. temperature reading for all E420 is between the 80 deg. C and 100 deg. C line? In other words, it should be around 90 deg C (stable) ???

-Long

Old 04-21-2004, 10:00 PM
Super Moderator

87 degrees centigrade

it's an ideal engine operating temperature.

equivalent to half a glass of blue label johnny walker whiskey to us on a cold snowy day.

Old 04-22-2004, 03:04 AM

I agree with Sleepwalker ( not 100 [:@]) Sierra Nevade Beer and a shot of Tequila is better for the sole, runs great in the car too.

Old 04-26-2004, 06:03 PM

I have exactly the same problem with my 1995 C36 AMG It does not overheat but the temp does go a bit nuts in traffic its fine on the freeway/motorway.

The car also Pinks when temp gets over 100 oC then eventually the fans turn on somtimes just before it goes to red.

No water Leak or Oil mixes the ecar is still rapid and drives fine.

I NEED HELP PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE SO Le2Dynasty can you please give me a up date or can anyone else Help

Old 05-02-2004, 09:22 AM

Probably no help, but my 1980 500SE normally sits between just over 80 to max 100. Long trips and or on a cold day, just over 80. Slow moving \stopped\hot day and when worked hard its just under 100 with the thermo fan coming on. I'm told there's somthing wrong with the fan clutch and it should do a constant 82 but im not going to bother getting it fixed.

Old 05-02-2004, 01:08 PM

Your problem could be with the temp sensor switch that switches on and off the auxilliary fans (in front of the radiator) as coolant temp rises and falls, via a relay.
It is different from the temp sensor switch for the temp. guage in the instrument panel.
You can buy a replacement switch with different specs 72°C or 85°C. I use the 72°C sensor in my car.
Good luck.

Old 05-06-2004, 10:16 PM

RE: Notorious

Hey! You and I have the same problem. Anywayz, I haven't fix my car yet...But I have asked many people about the temperature guage problem...and most of them told me that it's the "WATERPUMP"... I checked online at www.autopartsauthority.com and found that it costs about $150 for my car... I think that for your car it would be around $120 not including installation fee.

Can you give me more details about your MB problem?

My car does not overheat...hope not... If I drive on the freeway....It will remain 80 deg. C... However, If I drive in local street (25-45MPH), the temperature stick will slowly increase to 100 -105 deg. C after about 10 min.

It could also be the fan clutch or temp sensor switch ...Like FYINGPHIL & SHAN said.

Anywayz, I hope those Info. will help you NOTORIOUS...As for me I don't have any extra cash to fix my vehicle...so whenever the temperature stick moves closer to the 100 deg. C line...I have to turn on the heater...to help cold down the engine...even when the Temperature outside is 105 deg. C....GoD DAMMIT...where I live is so hot...It's exactly like Las Vegas!!! Hopefully, the car will not overheat before I graduate college and find a job...

Whenever I asked my friends for help about the problem that I experience, they always criticized me for owning a MERCEDES rather than a TOYOTA or HONDA...That's why I decided to job this website...so I can get help...So I hope you too...can get help with ur problem...

A lot of people has said to me: Why the Hell you have to buy Mercedes...You're a poor college student and..don't even have a job...Mercedes parts are very expensive and the cost of operating & maintaing is very high!!! Here is my respond to that...

I LOVE MERCEDES because It had saved my Life... NOT BECAUSE I WANT TO SHOW UP to my girls or friends...NO MATTER WHAT PEOPLE SAY ...MERCEDES (In my pt. of view) IS STILL THE BEST IN TERM OF SAFETY.

5 yrs. I got into a Major Car Accident...was traveling 70 MPH on Freeway I215 from San Diego to Riverside (Back to my University), Suddendly!!! I got truck by an unknown vehicle (HIT AND RUN)...I then landed on the opposite side of the freeway...Got struck again by 3 Large Amercans SUV + 1 mid-side car (A total of 5 cars) ... According to the Local News and Police Report, my car engine was about 200 feets away from my vehicle...the whole car got crush...the trunk got push.. all the way up ... to the driver seat... and the passenger side vanished...Basically, the only thing left was the driver seat.

And still I don't even end up with a single broken bone... Even the ER doctors said that it's a miracle that I have survived after such accident.

THANK GOD and MERCEDES!!!!

RE: SHAN! What is the temp. sensor switch again? And do you know how much it would cost?

Thank You! EVERYBODYy....for taking ur valuable time to answer my question and others who have the same question and AGAIN!!! THANK YOU! for your contribution!!!

"DRIVE SAFELY"

Quick Reply: Temperature guage reading??? What is the normal engine Temp?