General Tech Post general Mercedes Tech questions here.

Telemetry/tachymeter overstatement?

Search this Thread

Old 09-11-2016, 07:12 AM
Question Telemetry/tachymeter overstatement?

Hi there.
I'm the proud owner of a 2.5 month old C Class. I love it to bits; the best thing I've ever driven. However, I've noticed one odd thing.

In my previous car (a 2012 Toyota Avensis), the length of my commute in the morning from my house to the park and ride was 40km (or 40.1, depending on which way I went around my block when leaving). I remember that as it is so exact.

I thought I'd start measuring it in my C Class, and every time it's showing 41.1-41.3 i.e. about a 2.5% increase in distance. This makes no sense to me.

I wouldn't be that put out, only I bought my car by PCP, which limits me to 20,000km per annum. Over the 3 year period, that's about 1,500km I can't drive, which is about a month's worth of commuting. My wife's equally new A Class is showing the same (although we can only see it without decimal points in her car), whereas her old Toyota Auris showed 40km.

Has anyone noticed any weird overstatement? Perhaps the Toyota telemetry is incorrect. I might get a couple of my brothers to measure the drive in their cars (Skoda, Audi).

Am wondering how I should raise this issue with my dealer.

Any advice would be great.

Cheers,
Eoin.

Old 09-16-2016, 04:11 PM

Hi Eoin,

Likely a calibration issue. Wouldn't think much of it as it's off by a minuet decimal. Hope this helps!

-Dmitry