General Tech Post general Mercedes Tech questions here.

STUCK IN PARK!!!!

Search this Thread

Old 06-22-2007, 09:52 AM
Default STUCK IN PARK!!!!

First I needed a new key.....got that....now she wont move at all...she starts just fine.....but its like the gear shifter is jammed in park....what is wrong with her? Would love to take her to the dealership but they are going to charge an arm and a leg.....

Old 06-22-2007, 11:47 AM
Default RE: STUCK IN PARK!!!!

I'm not sure about Mercedes (or your specific vehicle), but I've had other cars in the past that have a safety switch on the brake that has to be activated (i.e. you have to bestepping on the brake pedal) before the car will shift out of"Park".On aFord I had, the little switch was right up at the top of the brake pedal arm. You might try bypassing the switch witha jumper wire toisolate that as the problem. For a short-term operating solution, itmay also be possible to move the shift lever to "Neutral" before starting -- then the safety switch doesn't come into play, and you could get to either "Drive" or "Reverse" from there. Someone with more Benz-specific knowledge might have a better answer for you specific car. Good Luck!

Old 06-22-2007, 12:05 PM

She wont move out of park at all.....someone said there is away to bypass some electronic Shift module....so if anyone out there knows how to do that I would greatly appreciate it....so we will see...

Old 06-22-2007, 01:08 PM

Common problem on MB (and other makes).
Usually due to faulty brake pedal switch.
Some models have a manual override (insert pen or similar in hole near gearselector (I assume automatic) BUT not all models have this feature.
Look in your handbookfor details.
Stuart.

Old 06-22-2007, 02:39 PM

ORIGINAL: snanceki

Some models have a manual override (insert pen or similar in hole near gearselector (I assume automatic) BUT not all models have this feature.
Look in your handbookfor details.
Stuart.
+1...

Old 06-22-2007, 08:13 PM

the best thing you should do is look at the pedal brake........see .... what ...and were is the switchthat will activate this when you step the brake change that switch...or bypass it ......to do that.... just simply joint that 2 wire together.........and thats bypass already...

Old 06-25-2007, 04:53 PM

does the car have to be reprogrammed by the dealer if I buy the Shifter assembly from the dealer?

Old 06-27-2007, 01:05 AM

So what makes you think you need a new shifter mechanism?
Stuart

Old 07-02-2007, 12:55 PM

some guy at the mercedes place said it did, but I took it to another mechanic and he agreed I should replace it, but he was able to bypass the electrical part something to do with the "sylanoid" "celanoid" and it is now driveable...cost me 200 bucks verse 1200 that the dealer quoted?

Old 07-02-2007, 08:02 PM
Super Moderator

solenoid.

be very careful not to accidentally push the shift lever while the car is in motion. or else it will damage the transmission is it goes to P or R from D at high speed.

that solenoid prevents such thing from happening

Quick Reply: STUCK IN PARK!!!!