General Tech Post general Mercedes Tech questions here.

stereo head unit for c280

Search this Thread

Old 08-05-2005, 01:43 PM
Default stereo head unit for c280

I have a 99 C280 with the standard Becker tape deck/am/fm/weatherband, and no cd changer or phone.
I'd like to replace with an aftermarket head unit w/single cd and xm, but have heard that some MB's won't accept aftermarket head units. Any clarification or advice on this would be appreciated, thanks!

Old 08-05-2005, 02:10 PM
Default RE: stereo head unit for c280

This is very true, even thou the head is a becker, the speakers are Bose in the 99 C280 as I have the same car. Bose is priority made. I had an Audi years ago with BOSE and a aftermarket head wasn't avaiable, back them the speakers had the amps built into them, so to change the entire system I'd would had to replace everything, head, speakers. But that was impossible also, as the dash would have to be extensively timmed to accomodate a new head.

Mine didn't come with a CD player either, the salesperson who sold me the car sent me to a private shop in the area and I got a genuine Mercedes Benz 6 CD changer for around #300 installed. A lot less then the dealer wanted. These are not from the factory items I was told and the dealers contract with local shops to install the CD players.
Find a Mercedes dealer in the area and then find audio shops in the same area, and you might get lucky. Remember the CD is hooked up to fiber optic cable, which is orange and is located on the passenger side behind the fuse box in the trunk and under the trim panel. I would fool around with trying to find a aftermarket head. Mercedes does sell an single CD/radio head but it is over $1000 list.

Old 08-08-2005, 10:32 PM

thanks, Allan.
I actually checked around a little more - I have a local Circuit City w/an oustanding car stereo department. They were able to hook me up w/a Sony (though I could've gotten Pioneer or others, too) head unit that fits perfectly, has single cd and integrated xm, and sounds great. And they had the converters needed so they didn't cut any wires or anything. All for about $400...and it won't be any big deal to pop it out and replc. w/the original if i want to when I sell the car.

Old 08-08-2005, 11:02 PM

I'm surprised, by happy for you. My last experience with a Bose Speaker system, was with the Audi and back in 94, each speaker had a built in ramp and there wasn't any head units that would fit, but pulling out the bose, etc. I guess, since Bose or Mercedes uses a single amp in the trunk, it is more flexible. Perhaps I will look around for a subwoofer. I like to mount it behind the reart arm rest, and if the OEM amp has power and a jack, I am all set, CAN ANYBODY ANSWER THAT QUESTION??

The other day I asked about installing DRL's on my car, 10% discount on insurance. Anybody have any idea where the module goes, How about MBZ tech you seem to have a excellent handle on this cars.