General Tech Post general Mercedes Tech questions here.

Squealing noise when I press clutch??

Search this Thread

Old 11-02-2005, 08:13 AM
Default Squealing noise when I press clutch??

Hi,

I am currently looking at buying a 1982 W123 240D estate. The car appears to be in mint condition. However, when driving the car, when I press the clutch a loud squealing noise can be heard. The guy selling the car suggests its the clutch cable rubbing against a wheel mechanism and is from lack of use. He claims this will stop once the car is used more often. Anybody familiar with this problem and is it as harmeless as suggested??

Regards,

Joe

Old 11-02-2005, 09:52 AM
Super Moderator
Default RE: Squealing noise when I press clutch??

the clutch uses cable?

i think it's the clutch release bearing noise?

what kind of noise anyway?

Old 11-02-2005, 10:42 AM

Hi,

Unfortunatley I am new to mercedes engines and do not know exactly how they work. The noise is high pitched - like the squeeking noise which might come from a fan belt. It only occurs when I press the clutch. The guy who owns the car and appears to have a good knowledge of these cars said that when the clutch is pressed that the cable loosens over the 'pulley' which the cable runs over. This is causing the squealing due to lack of use??

This is the best way I can explain it.

Old 11-02-2005, 11:35 AM

I would say clutch release bearing as well.

With the car idling, try slowly pumping the clutch pedal in and out and listen to the noise. Does it get better ? worse? post your answers when you get a chance.

Old 11-02-2005, 12:43 PM

I prob won't get a chance to do this untill the day I collect it (if I buy it that is). If the bearing is gone, is it a big job to replace it? I am keen to buy this car and if the problem is minor I don't mind.

Old 11-02-2005, 01:49 PM

I think...first you have to make sure it is a cable clutch or a hydraulic one.

Another thing to worry about is -- like you said, the seller is very knowledgeable about the car. That is dangerous because he knows and you don't. There is a good chance he's telling you a nice story.

If the noise is a simple problem, why didn't he fix it before selling the car? If it is truly caused by lack of use or dryness....he could have sprayed WD40 or something. He didn't. So you figure.

Old 11-09-2005, 06:14 PM

I agree with the others. Definitely sounds like the clutch throw-out (release) bearing. Unfortunately, you have to seperate the tranny from the block to get to it. While you're in there, you might as well replace the clutch because it's "that sort of a job" if you know what I mean.

Old 11-09-2005, 06:42 PM

Clutch release bearing was "standard maintenance job" in old days, when I drove Fiats.
Women drivers holding foot on the pedal without need for it participate in the problem a lot.
Unfortunately as mentioned, the access to the bearing require taking tranny off. At this time I would measure the clutch pad thickness and if it is less, than 50% - replace it as well.

Old 03-14-2007, 02:05 PM

Hi

I read a post about release bears.

Any good how to's or info on how to do this job? Is it fairly easy for a road side handy man mechanic like me?

Dave

Old 03-14-2007, 06:35 PM

Not sure what it is? But, why not negotiate the price and he pays for the fix. You get the car you are fond of and if it is a simple fix he shouldn't be too concerned. If he backs off you may have found out something he may or may not know about.

Or set a price with the squeal gone, he gets it done.

Good luck,

Tryg

Quick Reply: Squealing noise when I press clutch??