Mercedes Forum - Mercedes Benz Enthusiast Forums

Mercedes Forum - Mercedes Benz Enthusiast Forums (https://mercedesforum.com/forum/)
-   General Tech (https://mercedesforum.com/forum/general-tech-5/)
-   -   speedo failure/abs,brake and brake wearl lites (https://mercedesforum.com/forum/general-tech-5/speedo-failure-abs-brake-brake-wearl-lites-2622/)

krueger 11-14-2004 10:30 AM

RE: speedo failure/abs,brake and brake wearl lites

I've checked the errors and it came out a failure of communication (CAN), so the expert told me it could be a failure on a K40 module which distributes power to the units (ABS, Traction control,etc). I am going to replace it from a used car to see if that was the problem because this part is somewhat expensive.
Check Six krueger...

Vee12 11-19-2004 03:23 AM

Hi Im new on this site , Im having the same problems
ABS and ASR are on, speedometer does not work, as well as temp gauge and econometer( MAY BE WORKS ON DATA FROM SPEEDOMETER?? )
I assume we are not the only ones , there must be some one out there what is going on , I have extreem hours in this problem and without results
LET ME KNOW

Ben / Vee12

tryfunke 11-22-2004 08:29 PM

I have to admit this this car has got the best of me and my money. About two weeks ago, the car went back to the md shop and I was told the problem was the wiring harness. The MB representive would not offer any goodwill. I explained that the problem was a safey hazard because the car stalls unpredictably when slowing. It has a latent, hidden defect, a biodegradable wiring harness, in truth this means the all the MB models are totally unpredictable on how they could kill you or your kids. This is just like the Audi accelleration problem it is just the inverse in my case. No so-called premium car maker should expect the owners to pay for safety defects like this. Mercedes Benz gets away with this. To the intelligent people, this indicates that this companies concern for the safety of its customer and there commitment to a quality is a total DISGRACE.
I still need help fixing this car. Could it be anything else?

sleepwalker 11-22-2004 10:15 PM

seems the 3 of you are talking of different models :)

totx 11-22-2004 10:49 PM

91 model 600 S W140

ABS and ASR lamp on. Speedometer, ecometer and kick down not working.

Sometimes the car goes realy bad, need to stop an start again. Then almost ok...
It's not possible to get more than 5000 r/min on the engine, then it's "blocking" on rpm.
Red mark on 6000, seams like some kind of emergency program.

Where is the over voltage relay locatet on this car?

Checked ABS sensors and brake switch...

Thanks in advance for any tip!

Hard to find parts for test on this car!

krueger 11-27-2004 05:54 PM

Hurra! Finally I got it right. The problem was the relay unit. It's the first module under the plastic cover in front of the passengers seat (it also has the ABS, ETS and other modules). Mine reference is A 210 540 03 72. My car is 1996 E 290 TD station. I hope you get as lucky as I did. The module cost me around 100 Euro.

tryfunke 12-09-2004 10:50 PM

The conclusion for my problem was extraordinary or perhaps not. I was very close to a wiring harness replacement. The MB rep felt that they are not responsible for the biodegradable wiring harness they have in there cars. Yesterday, an overvoltage protection relay was put in the car. That relay resides on the passenger side near the window under a plastic cover. It has a fuse on top, but mine was not blown. When the new relay was put in and the codes were errased the ABS lght stayed on and then finally went off on its own. Everything works!!! Inspecting the relay shows alot of discoloration at pin number 9. Not rust, not arching, just discoloration. I just thought this was an interesting feature since paying eighty bucks as a guess looks foolish. In retrospect, the protocol should be to replace all ovp relays before any wiring harnesses that are suspect.