Mercedes Forum - Mercedes Benz Enthusiast Forums

Mercedes Forum - Mercedes Benz Enthusiast Forums (https://mercedesforum.com/forum/)
-   General Tech (https://mercedesforum.com/forum/general-tech-5/)
-   -   speedo failure/abs,brake and brake wearl lites (https://mercedesforum.com/forum/general-tech-5/speedo-failure-abs-brake-brake-wearl-lites-2622/)

sleepwalker 10-17-2004 11:54 PM

RE: speedo failure/abs,brake and brake wearl lites

1000 ohms is good.

between 900 to 1200 should okay too.

hold your breath because it seems to be a problem with instrument cluster itself or traction systems control module.

some basic checks that might do:
check alternator output
clean connector on kickdown cutout relay

there was a modification on instrument cluster because it was having problem with serial interface for traction system control module.

first check the the interface line to traction system control module:
pin number 7 and 1 should have less than 5 ohm resistance.

remember, only by actual thorough checking and diagnosis that the problem can be confirmed.
what i am telling you is only to give you an idea where to look at, and some hints.

krueger 10-18-2004 12:48 PM

Since my failures are interment and without a pattern (it could be stopped or driving and go away when it feels like it) can't I assume a problem with the ECU? I've check the connections and they all seem OK. I haven't checked the ECU state in itself.
Cheers...

tryfunke 10-18-2004 11:54 PM

The car visited the local MB dealer. It was impossible to interface with the MB tester. Codes included : 100 can: no reception from Diagnostic module. 072 Vss not recognized/ 107 dwell angle control at ignition output stage stop / 002 cc/ea actuator reoprt limp-home / 065 signal L5
I butterknifed the dash cluster out. I really cannot get the custer out. The steering wheel is in the way. there is no tilt or telescope. also, the car does not have traction control or arb. It only has abs.
the mechanic says he will needs a couple hours to figure it out. this can't be good. HELP? tryfunke

tryfunke 10-19-2004 12:33 AM

To answer sleepwalker's query:
alternator is checked oout to be fine 14.5 volts good sine pattern
where is the kickdown relay?
I have no idea how to get the cluster out
How much does refurb cluster cost and how do I correct for mileage?
How does one check the cluster? tryfunke

tryfunke 10-21-2004 01:44 AM

sleepwalker, I see you are online. Do you have any words of wisdom that could help me out of this mess. I have heard it could be the ovp relay. It cost 100dollars with a no return. Is there any way to test this relay with a ohm/volt meter? any other ideas? tryfunke

sleepwalker 10-21-2004 02:18 AM

the only best way to check the cluster and other electronic parts is to put a new one or from another car and see if it works.

sleepwalker 10-21-2004 02:40 AM

that was the cut out relay i mentioned earlier and on the right of engine compartment.

just see if the terminals are corroded (dirty) and try to clean first if it works.

there is a fuse on the top, check it too.

i will find the structural diagram of this relay later so you can test if you want.

tryfunke 10-22-2004 06:24 PM

I the cut out relay the same as the over voltage protection relay (OVP). ? I'm not sure about the location. Is it uder a plastic cover with the over electronic by the firewall on the passenger side. Forgive me, I don't know what side you drive on, but this car had a left side wheel. Are there any other grounds that get corroded amd can be cleaned up? tryfunke

tryfunke 10-27-2004 05:39 PM

Tests and so forth from a local expert who could put their hands on the car believe the problem is a faulty ABS module. Is a 96' one coded? Where can I get one for cheap? new is almost 700.

danj111 11-09-2004 09:12 PM

I am having the exact same problems as mentioned in your post. No speedometer, ABS, BREAK, breakpad warning lights are on. I tried replacing the instrument cluster, but still have the same problems. Have you found a resolution to your problem?