General Tech Post general Mercedes Tech questions here.

Slk Died Please Help!?!?

Search this Thread

Old 08-18-2008, 11:53 PM
Default Slk Died Please Help!?!?

I have a 2000 Slk-230 Auto Transmission.
Today While under normal driving conditions the ASR/BAS warning light came on. Then the car's engine started Struggling/Missing and DIED, check engine light came on. I pushed the shifter into NEUTRAL and turned the key OFF and Back on to start it. The RPMS shot up to about 5000 very quickly and then it stalled again.... Turned Key Off and restarted. Again the RPMS shot up but came back down immediately, and stayed at about 800. And thats ALL THE POWER I CAN GET NOW.....I limped along the shoulder at 5MPH for about 1/4 Miles to a side road...... and started trying to figure it out:

The Check Engine light came on and is still on along with the ASR/BAS Light.
The car does starts quickly but idles rough, then when you give it any throttle at all, it starts a Pulsating/throbbing idle that won't get over 1000 RPMs no matter what. If you put the car in gear, it LUNGES and you have the APPLY the brakes VERY HARD to keep the car stopped.

But the car will not go over 5 MPH no matter what. I have tried resetting the ASR/BAS by turning the wheel full left to ful right,... doesn't seem to work. Also disconnected the Neg Battery terminal, this DID reset the Check engine light, but it came on soon after I restared the engine.

NO SMOKE AT ALL FROM TAILPIPE.
TEMP WAS FINE WHEN PROBLEM OCCURED.

Car has not had any sensor issues up to now. (85,000 MILES)

It does produce a LOT of brake dust (on the front).... which I tried to spray off hopeing to clear the ASR/BAS light if it were a dust build up.

I feel the poor running of the engine is due to whatever is going on with the ASR/BAS System,..maybe some protection mode??

I DID check the gas cap. AND Fuses, ALL FLUIDS........nothing looked bad.
Also Brake Lights are workingperfectly and were just replaced as per recall about 6 months ago. Never had a problem, until now.
Car is garage kept and has not been in the rain.

Going to shop tomorrow, but Any Suggestions?

Old 08-20-2008, 11:19 AM
Default RE: Slk Died Please Help!?!?

my car did all the exact same things and i needed a new transmission. the asr/bas however came on at a completely different time after i had already gotten my new transmission though. i don't think that light has anything to do with thetransmission problem. the car is trying to lungeitself into another gear. when this happened in my car it was becauseI gotwater into the gear shift. the computer that tells your car what gear to be in is right under your shifter so the computer could be fried. you need to leave it off or you could be doing more damage to your transmission that is possibly fixable