General Tech Post general Mercedes Tech questions here.

SLK 280 .....help!

Search this Thread

Old 06-10-2014, 07:57 PM
Default SLK 280 .....help!

Hi there I need some help with my SLK 280 (2006). I was recently involved in a collision (not my fault) whereby the front left panel and the left quarter of the bonnet were damaged.
I have been without the car for 9 weeks now while awaiting replacement parts via the repairer and finally went to pick up the car only to discovery there was a heavy vibration noise that did not exist before. The car was running perfectly beforehand!
The repairer thought this may be due to the intake valves being "stuck" since the car was idle/stationary for so long and tried to flush them out without success. Two days ago they sent it to the Mercedes Benz mechanical repairer who undertook a diagnostic and advised the following:

Current and stored faults are present in the system after a computer short test was carried out and are listed below.

: constant adjustment of intake camshaft of right cylinder bank in direction “retarded”

: diagnosis of tumble flap “intake manifold” short circuit to ground of sensor lines/tumble flap shafts stick in the actuated position.

Further to the above engine and transmission mounts are compressed and would require replacement. Removal of rocker covers are required to inspect balance shaft pulley to confirm balance shaft replacement. Estimates for replacement of above subject to removal of rocker covers have been outlined below.

Inlet manifold $3998.50 inc gst

Removal of rocker covers

For balance shaft diagnosis $1141.75 inc gst

Engine and gearbox mounts $1885.00 inc gst

Quite frankly, I feel like I am being ripped off and want to know if any of these items can be attributed to the car being idle for so long and also the intervention by the panel beater in trying to clear the intake valves. They are not accredited MBenz mechanics!

Also, the engine for the car was completely replaced 2 years ago following flood damage, would these items be covered by the warranty?
Kind regards

David