General Tech Post general Mercedes Tech questions here.

Skinny on 1981 Mercedes 380SLC

Search this Thread

Old 11-09-2005, 10:08 PM
Default Skinny on 1981 Mercedes 380SLC

Please give me the low down on the Mercedes 1981 380SLC

Old 11-10-2005, 12:02 AM
Super Moderator
Default RE: Skinny on 1981 Mercedes 380SLC

they are old.

Old 11-10-2005, 12:06 AM

Thank you Sleepwalker for anwering...Is it worth purchasing with 117miles good trans and engine and car fax report..Advise

Old 11-11-2005, 07:08 PM

Yes, they are old, but Mercedes sold some 287K plus of the SLC during there run. I have a 79 450SLC. I bought mine from a private seller who had service records back to 1985, engine was rebuilt in 90. suspension & transmission rebuilt in 95, He bought it in 89 with 109K miles when I bought it 3 weeks ago it had 114K miles he drove it 5K miles in all those years. Mine has a few problems the biggest is no heat or AC. in 79 Mercedes used a ACC servo to control the heat and AC, it is both vacuum and electric operated. I took mine out and it is in Tenn being fixed. Vacuum leaks are another area. It has a strong running 220HP DOHC V8, doesn't burn a drop of oil, runs strong, It is a 3 speed automatic. The body is in fine shape no rust, all the stainless steel is there, the interior except for the driver's seat are in very good to good condition. It needs some bulbs for the switches and warning lights, but aside for the HVAC and the vacuum problems it is a strong runner. Plus I got the car for $3200 and that is a bargain, the person I bought it from started at $4500.00. but after I inspected it pointed out this and that, we were at $3600, I said those ACC servo's are expensive to replace, so we spllit the difference and I got it down to $3200. Drove it 110 miles home and it was fine. I also am putting in high test gasoline and some BB44G fuel system cleaner and already I've noticed a dramatic improvement in the cars performance. It does idle a bit high, when I first got it, it idled at 1100rpm, I adjusted the linkage and replaced a few vacuum lines, and now I have it down to 800rpm to 850 RPM. still a bit hight. I need to replace some hoses, and my son and I are going to flush the radiator this weekend and back flush the heating system. as it runs a bit hot for my taste 200 degrees F, so we will see what happens after the flushing. It is also going to a Mercedes shop (private) the owner, worked for Mercedes for 15 years or so before opening his own place. He said very bluntly to my son and I, I haven't seen one of these in such good condition in a long time. But it does need some work. I hope not expensive work. One last thing gas mileage stinks about 16mph on the highway, so it is not a economy car. Lineage wise it is the grandson of the 300SL and the grandfather of the SL500. Sleepwalker correct me if I am wrong on that. I think the 81 had a bigger engine also, keeping with Mercedes badging policy. Sleepwalker again, correct me if I am wrong. I have restored cars over the years, if this is your first one, I would think twice and have a very good mercedes mechanic check it out. Old cars are old cars, you have to tinker with them, a lot?

Old 11-14-2005, 08:06 PM

Thank you Wizard for your reply. This particular car is on the West coast and I'm on the East. I have some detailed CarFax info on it. It currently has 117k miles on it. I currently own and drive everyday a 300E 1987 Mercedes and love the car, but have always wanted the little one....Just wanted to know the downs of this particular model....Thanks...If you know some great car shippers, hit me back...Thanks again

Old 11-15-2005, 10:06 AM

Interesting enough my 79 was originally a California car also. How it ended up in Mass, is a bit of a mystery. The person I bought it form told me the person he bought it from was on vacation out there and found the car and drove it back to Mass in 85. The person I bought it from bought it in 91 and now I have it. As with most old cars, as the days go one I find a bit more to be fixed etc. I decided to order a complete windscreen washer assembly, tank, motor, gromments, etc. The only thing I have to look around for are the tubes. I am too concerned about original equipment as this is going to be a daily driver, so I will probably go to Pep Boys and buys some tubing, and probably save a couple bucks compared to the Mercedes OEM. As far as haulers, I'm in the trucking business, but on the manufactuer side of shipping, so I don't get involved with what you need. However, if you get SPEED TV, there is one hauler, who's name escapes me, that advertizes regularly. The time I see the spot I get the name and send it to you.

Old 11-23-2005, 07:33 PM

One of our test vehicles is an '81 380SLC. We have recently documented the vacuum systems related to the ACCII Servos in these vehicles. We offer a replacement/upgrade kit for the OEM/rebuilt ACCII kits and we spend a good amount of time helping folks track down vacuum leaks in an effort to get their heat/ac working. You are welcome to download our document, which diagrams in a simplified, OEM color-coded manner the vacuum function. You can find the documents on our site : UnwiredTools.com. When you hit the page, look on the left hand side for a link for the 107 chassis vacuum diagram

Kind Regards

Frank

Old 11-23-2005, 08:24 PM

I just had my Servo repaired and get heat, but I think I have a vacuum leak behind The style 2HVAC PANEL ON MY 79 450SLC. The previous owner had it replaced a year ago, so the company that sold it to him honored the warranty and fixed at a moninal cost, but the more I read about this device, the more I wonder when someone would come out with something better in design. I am going to take advantage of your download. I have been told, these OEM servo, last about two years, and you should flush the cooling system every year and remove the servo first, to make them last longer. Also Chrysler used the same servo back in the 70's, I just read this the other day, Also at half the price MB charged back then.

Thank you for your post and I am sure us early MB owners especially us W107 folks all appreciate your kindness.

Al aka Benzmiester, aka C280 wizard