General Tech Post general Mercedes Tech questions here.

seat repair - feels like new

Search this Thread

Old 09-02-2006, 08:26 PM
Default seat repair - feels like new

Well... as a result of working on my driver's seat due to nonfunction (just a fuse in the end - see other post "seat problem 300SD") one thing led to another and i ended up taking the seat out to fix two outboard broken springs.

I bought steel sleeve 1 x 3/8, 1/16 inch cable and small cable clamps. I put the steel sleeve over the break and threaded the cable through the sleeve, put the cable clamps against the sleeve and threaded the cable through the cable clamps and tightened everything real snug. The sleeve should keep the broken springs ends together and the cable should keep the spring ends from slipping out of the sleeve. We'll see over time if this works.

As i was working I got looking at the underside of the horsehair? pad and noticed how it was frayed and soft in the middle areas where my butt sits and around the spring areas that press against the pad. I got thinking about what I could put between the springs and the pad to keep the pad from pressing through the springs. Walking through my garage I came upon some left over carpeting from the last carpet job at our house (60oz plush). I cut two strips (for easier manuevering) about 8 inches wide and 12 long (rough guess) and slipped the carpet between the springs and the pad nap side up against the pad. Put the seat back in, reconnected electrical connections, and tightened 'er up.

Time will tell... but I'm thrilled with the feel of the seat. Still have the springy feel but firmness in the seat as well.

Just thought I'd share..

Randy Martin
84 300SD
85 300SD