General Tech Post general Mercedes Tech questions here.

S600 Performance. Best upgrade? **advice needed**

Search this Thread

Old 06-14-2006, 09:42 PM
Default S600 Performance. Best upgrade? **advice needed**

Hello everyone, I am new to this forum . I just bought a 2001 Mercedes Benz S600 today, and I would like to know what's the best performance upgrade I should do. I'm willing to spend around $5,000 grand on upgrades. My goal is to hit in the 12's quarter mile bracket.

I was told about Renntech performance, what is the best upgrades for me to get, to get my S600 in the 12’s quarter mile for around $5-10g’s in upgrades? My 2001 S600 run 13.9 stock.

Reply ASAP. Thanks!

Old 06-15-2006, 12:04 AM
Default RE: S600 Performance. Best upgrade? **advice needed**

Why would anyone buy a S600 to drag race. This as all Mercedes Benz cars, are gentlemen' cars, and no street racers. If you want that go to AMG models.

Your driving IMHO one of the best luxury cars in the world and you worrying about 12 seond quarters. You obviously have some bucks. buy a new ZO 6 vette and you turn 11 and high 10's quarter miles. Don't degrade an S600 into a street racer or track car.

I hope your not thinking about "drifting" the S600 someday??

Old 06-15-2006, 09:42 AM
Super Moderator

That v12 block is used in professional racing, but in a stock chasis you have two problems.

First is the power-weight ratio, which takes into account not only the hp of the engine but also the weight of the vehicle. The car is stable and sturdy, you can lean against it without the fender crushing in, but its heavy. Right now you probably have a p/w of about 13-15, where a formula1 car would have 3-5.
Next is the engine management system. It is simply not designed for racing. It deliberately slows the acceleration, focuses of fuel economy, smooths the transitions, and is difficult to modify. Just as C280 wizard mentioned, its designed to be a gentleman's car.
12'secs. are reasonable, and I understand when people want their twelve to be breathtaking on the highway. On the other hand, if you're building a GT2 racing car, what I have seen done is replacing the engine management system with a Motec FI control designed for racing. And I've seen cars significantly lightened with a nibbler and mill, but at that point its a racing car and there's no turning back regarding collectivity...unless you win a race.
Gear ratios also have a critical role in acceleration. The stock gear sets are set at even increments spaced 1000 rpms apart, which is ok, but the rear differential ratio should be changed. On the track, typically take the average top speed of the course, and set your rear gear ratio so that the car winds out to that speed in top gear. This focuses all available power directly in the usable range. In other words, you wouldn't want to drive Monte Carlo with a gear set for Daytona. Many do not use a Merced transmission for this reason, because of a lack of gear sets; They require custom machining in many cases.
Stay in touch. I'm planning on building a beast next year too.

C

Old 06-15-2006, 10:26 AM

You know, you guys are interesting, S classes aren't tuner cars, plain and simply. I have a S class myself a 450SLC, with a 4.5L V8.

S class cars in general are meant to be cruiser in the best of style. My 79 450SLC will accelerate from 60 mph to 100 mph in about 3 seconds give or take a ten of a second or so. But off liine it is not a Vette or Ram Changer etcv. But you folks with money I guess can do most anything you want.

I was very wealthty once myself, but a major back operation, and letting my broker handle my partfolio, as my father in law and mother were both dying and my back was going. I lost most of my wealth. But as I always say easy come easy go.

I spoke to a women at the gas station the other nite while paying $3.14 a gallon for 91 octane for my 450SLC she had driven up in a RX8 , stick shift and a beautiful blue body color. Anyhow, she told me she was looking for a large Mercedes, like my C Class, which by the way is more a turner car, then a S IMHO. She told me her girlfriend has a 01 S500. The car has 37K miles and loaded with options, I didn't think there were any options on these cars, but I guess there are. Anyway, here is the kicker, she is willing to let the car go for what she owes on it, $12K, now that is a bargain.

Do either of you know what the S in S class translates to in English?

Old 06-15-2006, 12:05 PM
Super Moderator

C280, I agree wholeheartedly.

You can buy an entire sportscar for what it will cost to mod a MB.
And I always freak out when people talk about modifying the stock engine management, because quite frankly, its complicated enough. Throw mods in, and then the dealer may not even be able to help you, when something goes wrong.

Sorry about your back and family. I can relate. We have a setback about every ten years. Regardless of position, they keep changing the laws to get our money.

C