General Tech Post general Mercedes Tech questions here.

S500 2002 help...

Search this Thread

Old 09-02-2006, 01:07 AM
Default S500 2002 help...

Hello all, My first posting. I purchased a 02 S500 one month ago and love the car. Have some small issues that I would like to see about getting some feedback.

1. the rear head rests are stay in the down postion. I've read that it may be a problem with the vacuum pump??
2. SRS lights up when driving, will stay on for several min. then go off but will light backup.
3. CD system shows magazine empty when I place cd in the magazine. Not sure it the magazine is original? Does not have MB on it.
4. Does anyone know were I can get a cover for the passager front seat storage area?
5. ACC cabin filters, how to replace? Are they the same as the regular filter behind the glove box or are they located somewere else.

Thanks,

Dvmstr93

Old 09-02-2006, 05:03 AM
Default RE: S500 2002 help...

Hi,
1. The rear head rests are stay in the down postion. I've read that it may be a problem with the vacuum pump??
My vehicle 2000 S320 has Manual up on the rear headrest. Electrical down (switch on dash). What males you think they are powered up?
2. SRS lights up when driving, will stay on for several min. then go off but will light backup.
System will have a fault stored. Need to get code read on a MB STAR diagnostics machine. SRS is a safety system and you can spend a fortune on replacement parts and leave the system in a worse state than you started with. Suggest you take it to the dealer.
3. CD system shows magazine empty when I place cd in the magazine. Not sure it the magazine is original? Does not have MB on it.
If system is OE (magazine alone shouldn't be a problem but if not OE there is a possibility) then it looks as though the magazine "home" sensing device in the changer is faulty. Lots of people seem to have this problem. When at the dealer I suggest you get them to loan you an MB OE magazine. The ICE In Car Entertainment system also has fault codes which will confirm this possible diagnosis. the changer unit is also coded to the head unit. If this coding is incorrect then the changer isn't recognised. however you say the fault is "No magazine"
4. Does anyone know were I can get a cover for the passager front seat storage area?
Wrecking yard or MB parts.
5. ACC cabin filters, how to replace? Are they the same as the regular filter behind the glove box or are they located somewere else.
Straightforward. Vehicle has 2 paper pollen filters (two off side by side in the same compartment) accessed through the glove box. No special tools etc. 15 mins. the car also has an activated charcoal filter (expensive) which is located in the same AC unit but is accessed from under the passengers footwell. Unless the previous owner was a smoker no need to change this.
The filters pull out after releasing the sliding locking devices for the "trap" door on the AC unit. Difficult to see without good lighting.

Just as a precautionary measure are you sure that the drain in your AC plenum chamber is clear. Open bonnet and look down into plenum chamber. Can you see water. if not check that water entering this duct drains out.
This is No.1 S Class problem in my opion.

Stuart

Old 09-03-2006, 11:13 AM

Stuart,

Thanks for the info. I was able to get everything looked at. I'm sill not able to see were the charcoal filter fit. I guess I'm going to have to what until I get my manual.

Gene

Old 09-04-2006, 04:15 AM

Hi,
Did you remove the panelling from above the passenger footwell (3 screws and pull towards passenger?
If so you will see the bottom of the AC unit if you look up. Trapdoor is just like the pollen filter door. Slide catches, remove door and pull filter out.
If you send a PM with your email I will send photo of pollen filter location but I don't have a similar one for the charcoial filter due to access.
Stuart