General Tech Post general Mercedes Tech questions here.

s320 lower ball joint replacement

Search this Thread

Old 12-13-2008, 05:25 PM
Default s320 lower ball joint replacement

Has anyone replaced lower ball joints on a Mercedes s320? Is this something I can do myself? How?

Thanks!

Dave

Old 12-13-2008, 11:30 PM
Default RE: s320 lower ball joint replacement

Straightforward.
The same as any other car.
It all depends on your level of competence.

Necessary to remove the complete front hub assemblies. Not necessary to dismount front bearings although this makes the component much lighter to work with.
Note: If you undo the wheel bearing nut ensure you retighten to correct procedure!!
Don't disconnect the brake hydraulic fluid connection. Remoce calipers instead and tie up out of the way. This will save you from brake bleeding issues with ABS.
Don't forget to withraw ABS speed sensors from back of the hubs.
To gain access you will need to remove some of the undersheilding. Straightforward even without a lift.

FYI
1. You will require joint "splitters" that will fit within the space available. These are not special tools but you will need to select them carefully.
2. You MAY have problem undoing the strut lower end. Allen key. In side of strut about 25mm from lower end. Can be very tight . Take care not to round the hex!
3. When reinstalling tighten (to correct torque) the bush in the forward end of forward torque control arm with the vehicle at normal ride height. i.e. Not with its wheels free on a wheel free lift. It is necessary to remove this control arm in order to remove the front hub assemblies.
The lower ball joint is a VERY tight fit in the carrier. You will need a hydraulic press and appropriate diameter bushes (sockets?) to get the joint out.

Good luck.

Stuart.

Old 12-14-2008, 08:42 AM

Dont forget you need a coil spring compressor, there are some who have purchased the entire A arm since the joint comes installed, especially if the lower control arm bushings are bad. Those are bushings are hydraulic and need a special tool to be pressed in the arm. I would be very carefull, springs can seriously hurt you.

Old 12-14-2008, 01:26 PM

Argh.
Maybe I was a little too hasty.

w140 or w220?
For some reason I assumed w220.

If w220 there are no springs since the whole w220 range are Airmatic or ABC.

Stuart