General Tech Post general Mercedes Tech questions here.

Reverse gear problem

Search this Thread

Old 02-17-2010, 02:35 PM
Default Reverse gear problem

I have a Mercedes SL from 1993, automatic shift. The reverse gear works always when the car is cold (first thing in the morning) but after driving 5 miles or more, it will work 50% of the time.
Any suggestion on what the problem could consist of?

Old 03-30-2011, 02:32 AM

I have just bought a E 240 V6 Automatic and I am facing similar problem, the recerse works fine in the morning when the car is cold but doesn't work when the car reaches the optimum engine temperature of 85-90 degrees centigrades after I drive it for about 15-20 minutes.

The reverse gear doesn' seem to work specially if the surface is not flat and the silencer of the car gives white fumes.

What could be the problem. This never happens in any of the forward gears at all.

Can some transmission experts here solve my problem.

This car has no service history and shows 60000 kms on the odometer.

I assume that the previous owner was careless to check the engine and transmision fluids.

Please help tech gurus.

Old 04-09-2011, 10:15 PM

I had the same with my car and in the end it meant a complete overhaul of the gearbox.

You can start with changing the oil and filter. If the filter is blocked you may have some gear problems as well, but when the whole gear simply does not function anymore it probably means that the belt is worn out. Replacing it can only be done by an official shop, so it will cost a nice sum of money.
Perhaps it is cheaper to find a replacement gearbox on the net.
________
MARAJUANA DISPENSARIES

Last edited by Mambo; 09-01-2011 at 09:49 PM.
Old 04-10-2011, 03:19 PM

Hi, I had a problem two years ago and this is what happened: after suffering with the problem for a year, I went to the official service and they concluded that the gearbox had to be replaced. Unfortunately, the cost was higher than the value of the car, so I declined. Later on, I went to an unofficial repair shop that I was recommended. The guy changed the oil and put some kind of detergent oil (some "new product", he told me, to clean the valves; I paid little attention, as I was hopeless at that time, so I cannot say what it exactly was). He told me that the chances were that it would not solve the problem, but for 20 euros or so, there was little harm, anyway. After replacing the oil, he told me that the gearbox was "very dirty").
Well, after that, and this happened almost two years ago, I have had no more problems with the reverse gear. Pretty unbelievable, but so far so good...