General Tech Post general Mercedes Tech questions here.

Releasing Fuel Pressure

Search this Thread

Old 07-10-2004, 08:54 AM
Default Releasing Fuel Pressure

Can someone tell me how to release the static fuel pressure so I can replace the fuel filter on my SL?

Did MB put a schrader valve on this model, or do I have to buy a special tool that isn't for sale? If there's a schrader valve where is it?

Old 07-10-2004, 11:25 AM
Super Moderator
Default RE: Releasing Fuel Pressure

i think there is a shraeder valve on the fuel rail where the fuel injectors are attached because your engine is LH-SFI or ME-SFI?

just clamp the hose from the tank when removing the fuel filter. vise grip will do.

Old 07-10-2004, 12:21 PM

Wouldn't I have to clamp both hose ends?

I'd rather just release the pressure and be safe. I won't be working on anyone's clock so I don't need to cheat death with a shortcut. Besides, I don't want to get sprayed because I'll be smoking a cigar when I do this.

If I can't find the valve, I'll be back. I couldn't find it before but I wasn't sure it was there so I gave up too soon, I guess.

Old 07-10-2004, 02:05 PM
Super Moderator

i also like to smoke while working. i am more concerned about the hot feel of gasoline spraying on my face or eyes, and worst if it comes dripping down my sleeve while doing the filter.

i read a webpage once that says WD-40 can ease arthritis or arm pains? i don't have it, but from that time i feel good doing it.

well, the pressure is going back to the tank on different line. but everytime i replace the pump or filter, the free flowing of gasoline goes right out of the hose. maybe because there is also a positive pressure inside the tank. just keep some clamps handy or an old spark plugs because they can fit well on those hose. some bits of gasoline can spoil the taste of your havana partagas. i have seen that some american car's sparkplugs are smaller in diameter, don't use those.

i always test the fuel pressure from schraeder valve on the fuel rail. seems to be not far from the pressure regulator. it got a METAL CAP that looks like a nut, but the top is close? i use 14mm wrench to uncap it. some also got black plastic cap, but yours i believe is metal. there's no other thing on your fuel rail except for the injectors, pressure regulator, and this valve.

Old 07-10-2004, 02:23 PM

Oh, I misunderstood you. You're saying to do both. Release the pressure AND clamp the tank side side hose. I'll do that. Thanks.

Can you get Cuban cigars? Man, I'd like to try one ... except I don't want to go to jail over a cigar. Oh, well.

Old 07-12-2004, 11:29 AM
Super Moderator

it's hard to believe you cannot get cuban cigars from your corner store there lugnut?
i've read that cubans boycotted also coca cola because of this US - Cuba relationship?
yesterday i saw on the news that 5 cubans got inside US and they opposes Pres. Bush about whatever it was, and fortunately 3 of them will get detained and the others can go home.

yes i can get them from here. i only smoke cigarettes.... but those cigar tastes like cigarettes too. my grandpa's cigar is made of tobacco, and it feels like sand paper when i tried them before. he also uses the pipe and use his Remington shotgun swab to clean it. i think he likes the taste of bullet because he was a ww2 captain.

Old 07-12-2004, 11:52 AM

Yeah, it's one of those US trade embargoes that only hurt the average citizens who don't give a crap about world affairs and just want to try a good cigar. I, on the other hand, quit smoking over four years ago.

Get this. It's done only for Cubans who illegally immigrate to the US. Most come by sorry-assed excuses for makeshift "boats" and swim the last few meters to shore. If they survive the boating adventure from Cuba and reach the US shore (get out of the water) they are welcomed. If the cops can nab them while they're still in the water or still in the boat they get detained and later deported. I've seen several instances in news footage where the cops and Cubans kinda play tag in the shallow water. Some make it some don't. This chance at freedom is not afforded to any immigrant from any other country. The whole thing is silly as poop.

Old 07-16-2004, 04:38 AM
Super Moderator

so this is the reason why they make this amphibian.

Old 07-16-2004, 05:27 AM

Yeah, the TubboXpress SUV. Only the rich folks have those.

I'm glad to see the smart ones wearing Coast Guard-approved personal flotation devices (life jackets).

Old 07-16-2004, 11:42 AM
Super Moderator

this 1951 chevy pickup mounted on drums for floatation cannot last long on strong waves.

aquada is better.

[IMG]local://upfiles/1/1CB7BB4563AE4B37930BDF4F9CD1264B.jpg[/IMG]

[IMG]local://upfiles/1/10E7EDB192864E95BE555EDCC819026F.jpg[/IMG]

Quick Reply: Releasing Fuel Pressure