General Tech Post general Mercedes Tech questions here.

radio security code

Search this Thread

Old 11-29-2008, 06:11 PM
Default radio security code

Hello,
How do I get the security code for my radio? Thanks

Old 11-29-2008, 07:36 PM
Default RE: radio security code

Call your nearest MB Dealer, give them your VIN and they can look it up for you. It's possible that if you are not known by the Dealer, they may ask you to either bring the car in or fax them a copy of your owners card and license. I've heard that some Dealer's have started charging a fee for this lookup, and you may have to convince them that it's in their best interests to do this goodwill for you.

Bob

Old 11-29-2008, 07:58 PM

Bob,
I called the dealer earlier today and they wanted me to come in. The last time I had this problem I was given the number over the phone apparently I need to drive 46 miles to the dealer so I can be charged. Thanks

Old 11-29-2008, 08:16 PM

Sorry to hear that about your Dealer. If it were me, I'd call them back on Monday, speak to either Parts or Service, and make the offer to fax documentation they need. Failing that, if you work with a local (closer than 46 miles) independent MB Shop, your tech has contacts typically in the Parts Dept who he can ask to look up the code in the VMI Database at the Dealer.

If that doesn't work, hope the traffic is light when you drive over.

Bob

Old 11-29-2008, 08:19 PM

I went to my MB dealer and they printed off all the codes for me. As well as everything that was covered by warranty on what date. Problem I'm having is the radio flashes WAIT but wont flash CODE. Anyone know a way I can get this working without buying a whole new headunit?

Old 11-29-2008, 08:45 PM

'Wait' flashes due to an incorrect code being input. Typically it takes 5 cold starts for the radio to flash 'code'.

That said, since you've got your documentation, if you're sure you put the correct code in based on the report from the Dealer, the only other thing I can think of isyour radio may have been changed/ugraded by a previous owner. The data from the dealer is only going to show the code of the original radio, not the replacement or upgrade.

Bob

Old 11-29-2008, 08:55 PM

When I bought the car, the dealer had said it was the original radio and that he couldn't get it to flash code either. He suggested selling it on ebay with the CD changer and code included. Since some like original car parts. I'm not sure what to do, if possible I would like to keep it.

Old 11-29-2008, 09:03 PM

ORIGINAL: MB 560sec

When I bought the car, the dealer had said it was the original radio and that he couldn't get it to flash code either. He suggested selling it on ebay with the CD changer and code included. Since some like original car parts. I'm not sure what to do, if possible I would like to keep it.
If after 5 cold starts it doesn't flash 'code', then I think you'll have to pull the radio as often the code will be written on the radion case...doesn't say much for theft deterrent, but it happens alot.

Failing that, if you have a Becker radio, you can either go to their website or call their 800# (Becker USA), give them the serial number of the radio and they, for a fee, will give you the code.

Bob