General Tech Post general Mercedes Tech questions here.

Proud Owner of 83 240 D

Search this Thread

Old 06-23-2007, 06:07 AM
Default Proud Owner of 83 240 D

Hi all,

I got my first Mercedes last night and a diesel to boot!

I do not have the owner's manual for it, but there is a yellow light next to the battery, and have no clue what kind of light it is.

I live in Pompano Beach/North Lauderdale, Florida area so if there is someone who has alot of tips and pointers on this car that will be great.

Here are some pressing needs that I will need to address.

Low Beam lights are burned out, and Im not sure how to verify if the turn signals work or not. All of the windows worked except the driver's side locked in position, and will not come down. Figures.

Does anyone in SE Florida have any recommendations for places that do interior work?

Any help will be grateful. Ill probably throw some seat covers on the front seats.

I happen to have a 4 spd variant of the 240 D, how common or rare are these cars with the 4 speed stick?

Thanks,

Mark

Old 06-24-2007, 10:44 AM
Default RE: Proud Owner of 83 240 D

Congratulations! I've had a '73 220 (gasoline, unfortunately) for a couple of months now -- it's fun to tool around in, and I'm learning alot about the car. I can't help with your specific problems, but you might be interested in checking out this company from Muncie, Indiana -- http://www.adsitco.com/-- I haven't bought anything there yet, but they have alot of good stuff (like replacement leather seat covers and even complete rebuilt engines and transmission...but let's hope it doesn't come to that anytime soon). I've had reasonable luck finding some items on eBay (like door seals, exhaust hangers, sparkplug wires, replacement seatbelts, etc) -- and I also found some things at http://www.thebenzbin.com/-- Lots of luck to you! Enjoy the ride! Murry

Old 06-26-2007, 03:48 AM

Maddog,

Thanks for the info on those two sites. It looks like they both have what I would need to keep my new Benz operational.

Thanks again.

Do you have a manual for yours, mine is inbound, but the warning light is concerning me?

Mark

Old 06-27-2007, 07:54 AM

What design is on the yellow lite?
You probably have a bad window motor. Take the interior door panel off and you will find 2 wires (near the top right) attached to a junction block. Quickly touch a 12 voly source to one terminal, then the other. If the window moves, your switch is probably bad. If the window doesn't move, replace the motor. On Ebay, it'll be about $40. I found my manual online (repro) for under $20. Search a little....
Good Luck,
QTBand

Old 06-29-2007, 07:17 PM

Qt,

It looks like a ray of sunshine. According to the manual I got from Adsit, it mentioned that the light was the brakes. The mechanic at the MB dealership in Ft Pierce, told me it was about the light issue, but he was not sure because he had not worked on a 123 series car in 2 years.

Its a circle with lines extending from the circle. In the manual, the light for brakes would be red, but mentions nothing about the color being yellow.

Mark