Other Post discussion on all other models not listed above here.

Proud new owner of a 1986 mercedes 280CE

Search this Thread

Old 11-10-2004, 10:41 PM
Default Proud new owner of a 1986 mercedes 280CE

Hey I just purchased a 1986 mercedes 280CE and its completely loaded. I just wanted to know if you guys know of any known problems these cars might have thatl save me alot of trouble before I get stuck somewhere.. but other then that im just going to list all the stuff the cars got below

2.8L DOHC fuel injected Inline 6 cylinder (110,000 miles)
4 spd automatic (barely over 5000 miles - recently replaced)
4 wheel disk brakes
backwheel drive

2 door
leather interior
power windows
power locks
power/heated seats (up,down,foward,backward,tilt)
moon roof
ABS
As far as I know some form of TCS
cruise control
climate control
A/C-Heat

everything works and the car has been regularly maintained and looked over and car has just been sitting for a while. This weekend im replacing all plugs/belts/fluids and putting it back on the road. Anything I should look out for or should replace imediatly?

Its also had a recent suspension job so all the shocks are brand new. Do these cars have independent suspension for each wheel??

Thanks for your time- Dan.

Edit- Also This is just a stupid speed freak question but are these cars electronically limited to 128mph? I havent really tried it yet but im sure it wont go over 130 from what I researched.

Old 11-10-2004, 11:07 PM
Super Moderator
Default RE: Proud new owner of a 1986 mercedes 280CE

murphy's law:

A failure will not appear till a unit has passed final inspection.

Old 11-10-2004, 11:22 PM

and congrats on ur 1000'th post

yeah I drove the car before but right now its just really dirty and needs some tlc ... i drove it a while back when it had a bad trans... u had to shift the auto manually by going from drive to 2nd then to third.....because other wise it would just slip going into second....and grind....i have no idea why but....it doesnt matter because now its got a nice new trans in it.

other then that theres nothing wrong with the car....its just a little dirty....outside mostly...but like i said ill appretiate any further info on anyone who had or has a 280 series Thanks - Dan

Old 11-18-2004, 06:27 PM

well, as me, and my friends all do, when getting a new used car we do a few bits of maintanance...

Change the spark plugs, checking if they are rich, lean, detonating... (use google image search if you dont allready have a chart)

Change the oil/filter, i cut my filter apart, and locked for metal deposits... VERY messy, but worth it if you plan on keeping the car for a long time... (but to avoid this, on the filter, you can install a engine check filter, which lets you see bits of metal if they are in the oil)

change the transmission filter and fluid (alot of people neglect doing this, so stuff may be hard to move), check the fluid to see if its burnt or white (mixed with water... bad sign)

fill the tank with a algiside (i personally use sea foam, cheap and clean) if the car has been sitting for a long time.

after that, i changed my battery cables, because the locked bad, and I should now change my radiator fluid, but my garage gets kinda, sorta, cold during the winter, so i might get around to it in the spring.

also i take the tires off, and put some anti seise on the bolts (my mercedes has bolts, not lugnuts... possiably yours does too?)

well thats what i would do, but what you do is up to you.

Nate

Old 11-19-2004, 08:50 PM

yeah i planned on replacing the following

Spark plugs (high performance onces - any suggestions?-)
ALL the belts
ALL the filters (air, oil, Trans fluid, gas)
Most of the hoses (whether they need it or not)
All new fluids...the cars been sitting for a while but its SOLID....the door closes nicer the a brand new car....i was impressed the first time i saw it....old thing just needs to be cleaned up...ALOT....noone i know what have bought it but....i saw beyond the 1 and a half years of packed leaves under snow.....and said to myself...thats a dam nice car how much.....$800 heh heh

Im still not sure if its nuts/bolts but im practically rebuilding the whole care. Im taking the seats out and cleaning everything, the top of the back seat is ripped but luckily hes got another one sitting in another mercedes thats not worth a penny to fix so. .... FREE PARTS CAR haha....but yeah the cars got brand new molding from ray catena and i have special tires that like....are pushed out its weird...but anyway thanks for the advice - Dan

HOPEFULLY I can get you pics soon .... im gonna get alot of laughs....besides the squirrel nest next to my exhaust manifold...not funny

Old 11-19-2004, 09:22 PM
Super Moderator