General Tech Post general Mercedes Tech questions here.

Paint and other collision thoughts / questions

Search this Thread

Old 01-28-2008, 02:40 PM
Default Paint and other collision thoughts / questions

My 2006 C230 is badly bruised after a significant front end collision. My dealer is one of two in my city and does not have a body shop.

The other does....and claims to be able to paint with the Mercedes Benz nano-technology paint. My dealer utilizes one shop for all collision repairs and in fact are building a body shop on site with this vendor as the operator. They do all high-end work currently in San Antonio and are well-known as a quality shop.

This is my first Benz and I want to ensure that my accident won't hurt my car's appearance and features post-accident. And I fear that the second shop won't use the MB paint that the accredited shop does.

Does anybody know anything about collison repair - enough to shed some light on the topic?

Also if anyone has any stories about their cars post-collision and a return to worry free driving - to alleviate the sicknees in my stomach - please let me know!!!

Old 01-28-2008, 05:09 PM
Default RE: Paint and other collision thoughts / questions

So I dug around today....and found that the paint used is called "CeramiClear" by PPG. But my question still stands...slightly modified though:

Do MB certified auto body shops paint with CeramiClear ceramic clearcoat? And would my non-certified but affiliated to the dealer shop paint with CeramiClear ceramic clear coat or even have access to this material?

If anybody has ANY insight I would be greatly appreciative!

Jeff

Old 01-28-2008, 06:25 PM

I would ask both dealers for the names of some customers who have had their car painted recently. Then contact them and ask to see the cars. Good luck

Old 01-28-2008, 07:15 PM

I know you feel sick now but there is hope. I caused $10,000 worth of damage to mine(front end), found a quality body shop that specialized in german and exotic cars, and it turned out great. A matter of fact is that a couple defects were found that would have failed in the future but were replaced because they sustained damage in the wreck...i.e. cracked radiator. Also got a fresh paint job (got rid of the rock chips!). In a strange twist you could say that I saved money in the long run for all the fresh components received for only a $500 deductible!

I didn't want to get out of bed the day after but I can look back without bad feelings now.

Old 01-28-2008, 07:15 PM

Make sure the shop has a lifetime guarantee on its repairs.

Old 01-29-2008, 08:44 AM

All good advice. And definitely thank you for the goodresult story. Mine ended up being $8200 in damage to the front end. Powersteering pump, pulley, belt; oil cooler, oil filter, housing; radiator, lines, housing, support, et etc etc etc.

If anyone has ANY insiht into the CeramiCoat ceramic clear laquer clear coat that would be awesome. Thanks!

Old 01-29-2008, 01:53 PM

I just saw this post so I figured what the heck here it is I had my 2005 E55 smacked into my drivers door wiping out the mirror. Now i find out that Mercedes won't certify the car and of course it will be on Carfax also. I'm looking for someone that works for MB that can give me a number for the depreciation of value any help will be greatly appreciated.

Old 02-12-2008, 12:35 PM

Well an update: my car is still in the shop. Today is the 3-week point since my collision. I haven't got any updates or answers to provide other than Is aw the car last night painted but still slightly disassembled. My pro tip to you? Send your car to a Certified MB auotbody shop WITH mechanic's on site. That way you have certified MB guys repairing the most imporant part - the mechanical components and you can rest assured the work is being done well. My car is being towed to an MB dealer today because there are items that the body shop can't do on their own.